Word 2013 - Can't Change Default Font RRS feed

• Question

• I normally change my customer's default font to their preference by clicking Styles - Normal - Modify and then selecting the appropriate font & size and selecting New Documents Based On this Template.  I then click OK and close the Word document (but don't save it) and the default font & size is changed.

However on one particular customer's computer when I open Word 2013 again after doing this the font has been reset to default. Can anyone advise how I can successfully change the default font?

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Seems the option of "New documents based on this template" doesn't work for this particular user.

I agree with Charles that the culprit could be some poorly designed add-in which prevents you from correctly saving changes. You might want to troubleshoot this with the reference to the article provided by Charles above.

As an alternative way to do this, you can open the Normal template as a document and change the style directly:

1. Launch Word, then press Alt+F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor
    2. In the Immediate window. Type NormalTemplate.OpenAsDocument, then press Enter to open Normal template.
    3. Change the fonts and save it.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:32 AM

All replies

• That this is happening on one computer indicates the presence of a poorly-written Add-In that is preventing you from saving changes to the normal template. That it is causing this problem may or may not mean it is more problem than help. See the following article for more information on this including work-arounds and fixes.

Add-Ins in Microsoft Word

Please let us know if this helps you.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:12 PM
  • Thanks, I'm not aware of any non-standard add-ins being used but I'll troubleshoot this on Thursday when I see my customer.
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 4:58 PM
  • Hi,

Seems the option of "New documents based on this template" doesn't work for this particular user.

I agree with Charles that the culprit could be some poorly designed add-in which prevents you from correctly saving changes. You might want to troubleshoot this with the reference to the article provided by Charles above.

As an alternative way to do this, you can open the Normal template as a document and change the style directly:

2. In the Immediate window. Type NormalTemplate.OpenAsDocument, then press Enter to open Normal template.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:32 AM
  • Thanks, I'm not aware of any non-standard add-ins being used but I'll troubleshoot this on Thursday when I see my customer.

Please read the article Add-Ins in Microsoft Word. If my guess is correct, it will give you the tools you need. The Add-Ins that cause this problem can come preinstalled on a computer and be from major companies. A problem Add-In can be a "standard" Add-In.

Friday, December 12, 2014 1:58 AM
  • As an alternative way to do this, you can open the Normal template as a document and change the style directly:

This is one of the methods given in the article.

Friday, December 12, 2014 2:02 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Forum Support

Monday, December 15, 2014 7:18 AM
  • Than you for your replies Charles and Ethan, Ethan's suggestion of editing the Normal template directly was the quickest and most direct solution.

Thank you both again for responding.

Monday, December 15, 2014 8:53 AM