none
Project import taking 20 minutes! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have established a map and my data from Excel gets loaded in to Project correctly, the concern is that its taking 24 and counting minutes.  Project and excel 2010 on a Win7 laptop. CPU/Mem performance are not maxed out.  I suspect it is caused by the may predecessors that load from excel. thx

Friday, March 22, 2013 9:41 PM

All replies

• abba22,

How much data are you importing (e.g. number of tasks, resources, etc.)? Also I would recommend that you NOT import predecessors into the Predecessor field, rather import them into a text field (e.g. Text1) or the Notes field if there are more then 255 characters in any one predecessor string. Why? Because the import will go faster if Project doesn't have to re-calculate everything as a new predecessor is loaded. You can always transfer the predecessor data from the Text or Notes field to the Predecessor field after the basic task data is set up.

Also, I assume you are not trying to load start and finish dates for each task. You should only import the basic data, (task name, duration, links, resources, assignments), and let Project calculate the schedule.

And turn off auto-calculation for the import. Turn it on once everything is imported.

John

Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:56 AM