Microsoft Exchange 2010 SP2 with Rollup5 - Event ID 2915 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have been receiving the event ID 2915 in all our Exchange 2010 SP2 Rollup5 V2 Client Access Servers. The event IDs were generated with Rollup 4 also and we've recently updated to Rollup5 V2. Still no luck. The CAS servers on Windows 2008 Enterprise R2 with SP1.

I could see event id with 2915 for RCA and in this case the event id appears for OWA

Anyone come across similar event viewer message?

Event Viewer message:

Process w3wp.exe () (PID=6252). User 'Sid~contosa\abcd~OWA~false' has gone over budget '14' times for component 'OWA' within a one minute period. Info: 'Policy:DefaultThrottlingPolicy_d7d68d93-9249-4fa7-cfoe-901ac837ae2f, Parts:AD:13;'. Threshold value: '10'.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 8:26 AM

Answers

• RCA is most likely not the cause of this issue, as the error comes from the OWA throttling component. 

RCA = RPC Client Access.

What you are seeing in the error message is that, this user did exceed the set throttle policy for the OWA* component, but the way that it is reported is not what you think it is.   The "threshold 10" is the built in alerting threshold counter.

In your case where we see this " has gone over budget '14' "   -- this means that you have gone over budget 14 times.  14 is bigger than 10, so you get alerted.

Does that clear it up for you?

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Friday, February 8, 2013 4:16 AM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Seems throttling policy exceeded.. these article may helpful to understand.. 

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2010/compliance-policies-archiving/exchange-2010-client-throttling-policies.html

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd297964(v=exchg.141).aspx 

Kottees : My Blog : Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:25 AM
  • Hi

If you change the value on your policy do you still get the errors?

Have a look at imkottees links as well.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:50 AM
  • Thank you for the insight. I just compared the default throttling policy for OWA (where Im getting error as mentioned in Event Viewer) and could not see any value has max threshold with value 10.

Am I missing anything here?

Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:49 AM
  • Check the Throttling Policy assigned to the user in question, if any.

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:58 AM
  • This is the policy applied to the affected users. There are several affected users and my query was that the event viewer message says OWA and threshold 10. However, I could not see in the policy anywhere

Any thoughts

Thursday, February 7, 2013 12:20 PM
  • Check your RCAMaxConcurrency value in the Get-ThrottlingPolicy. If you set it to null, you should be able to avoid this issue.

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:00 PM
  • RCA is most likely not the cause of this issue, as the error comes from the OWA throttling component. 

RCA = RPC Client Access.

What you are seeing in the error message is that, this user did exceed the set throttle policy for the OWA* component, but the way that it is reported is not what you think it is.   The "threshold 10" is the built in alerting threshold counter.

In your case where we see this " has gone over budget '14' "   -- this means that you have gone over budget 14 times.  14 is bigger than 10, so you get alerted.

Does that clear it up for you?

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Friday, February 8, 2013 4:16 AM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Thank you, Rhoderick. Its clear now. How do we change this in-built threshold? Is there any harm or impact in changing this threshold? OR shall I proceed to open a SR with MS for their investigation?
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 6:59 PM
  • I do not believe that this is a value that you can change.  Feel free to open up a case, but I don't think it is something that you can tweak. 

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Will do that. Thank you.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:10 PM