none
Default document themes registry/GPO RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a custom theme that I would like for all office applications to open with that as the default. Is there such a registry key or GPO I can modify to achieve this?

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 4:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Zhongjie,

According to my research, I am afraid there are no registry keys or group policy to realize this.

However, a document theme is shared across Office programs. So you can save your customized document theme to a file with .thmx extension that stores theme settings independently of any data file.

You can separately change the default theme of Office programs. For more information, please refer to the links  below according to your Office version:

Office 2013 or Office 2016: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Change-a-theme-and-make-it-the-default-in-Word-or-Excel-c846f997-968e-4daa-b2d4-42bd2afef904

Office 2007 or Office 2010: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Change-the-default-theme-3b0d77d4-9d33-4bd2-91f9-d95ce39c66b3

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Perry Pan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 9:49 AM
  • This is kind of disappointing as I do not have the time to change the default theme for 300 workstations manually :(

I found this article: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/6c088634-88b6-456a-bb4c-622e590db9ea/set-office-2013-document-themes-with-group-policy?forum=officeitpro

Which mentions creating a custom office installation which means this must be a setting somewhere.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 10:29 AM
  • Hi Zhongjie,

The information in this link is really useful. Thank you for your sharing.

In an enterprise environment, it is possible to deploy the customized themes across all Office applications which is different from the personal situation I mentioned above.

Could you please mark the useful reply as answer which is convenient for those who might have similar question to easily find the useful post? If you have further concerns on this, please post back at ease.

Regards,

Perry Pan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 2:52 AM
  • Hi Perry,

After some further research I have found a much better way of implementing this across an enterprise environment, I will detail the steps here:

1. Create a custom normal.dotm blank.potx or whatever other office program you require a default theme for. Do this by opening the program, making the changes and then saving it as that type of file.
    2. Place this in a network-accessible location, we used \\<yourdomain>\netlogon
    3. Create a GPO to run a startup script on user logon

The script should read something like this:

copy \\<yourdomain>\netlogon\normal.dotm %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templates\normal.dotm /y

Where <yourdomain> means the name of your domain should you choose this method.

By using the %userprofile% environment variable you can ensure the template overwrites the current users template.

• Proposed as answer by exuser123 Sunday, November 26, 2017 4:20 AM
    Friday, November 24, 2017 10:06 AM
  • Hi Zhongjie,

So happy to see that your problem is solved and thank you for sharing!

By the way, do you mind marking your reply above as answer so that others who might have a similar issue can more easily find the useful one?

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry Pan

Monday, November 27, 2017 1:19 AM
  • We have a gpo there is placing our custom default theme in %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templates\blank.potx

No logon scripts needed.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 9:33 AM