Snagit 10.x not outputing to Word, PowerPoint etc RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are sequencing Snagit 10.0.1 (Build 58) using the 4.6 SP1 sequencer on Windows 7 (no service pack). We are excluding the Snagit printer and 'add-ons', but leaving the 'outputs' installed. Office 2007 is already installed on the sequencing machine and everything seems to work well there.

However as soon as we deploy the sequenced package to an App-V 4.6 SP1 client, the Snagit output options (Output to Word, Powerpoint etc) are missing. * Instead of being able to select Output > Word. All we see is Output > Program.

We've tried a MNT and VFS and the following but to no avail...

<POLICIES>
        <LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>TRUE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>
       </POLICIES>
       <ENVLIST>
        <ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE="__COMPAT_LAYER">RunAsInvoker</ENVIRONMENT>
       </ENVLIST>

Any idea's?

Thanks,

Friday, July 1, 2011 10:55 AM

Answers

• Ok i found it, you just need to include the Folder "%CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%\TechSmith\Snagit\Accessories" in the sequence. Or copy it to your Client.

Actually i realized that it generate the files when you execute snagit for first time, so what i did is just during the installation open and close snagit.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 1:25 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you have Office available natively while sequencing?
    /Znack
    Friday, July 1, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Hi /Znack,

If you mean installed locally (E.g. not sequenced) Office, then yes. It's part of the sequencing machine image.

Which is the same as the target machines running the App-V client.

Friday, July 1, 2011 11:02 AM
  • Hello,

You could use process monitor to review what is happening in the background - it could allow you to see how it defines the list
    /Znack
    Friday, July 1, 2011 12:15 PM
  • I will guess that Snagit install some files/Registry for MS Office (then office know how to handle snagit data) these are in the sequenced machine but not in the client machine. Try to check in the sequenced package if there is some files/registry for Office and check it afterwards in the client.
    • Proposed as answer by J.Badia Monday, July 4, 2011 12:59 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by J.Badia Monday, July 4, 2011 1:05 PM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Ok i found it, you just need to include the Folder "%CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%\TechSmith\Snagit\Accessories" in the sequence. Or copy it to your Client.

Actually i realized that it generate the files when you execute snagit for first time, so what i did is just during the installation open and close snagit.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 1:25 PM

...and local appdata is excluded by default by the Sequencer so it should be unexcluded from the default list, otherwise Sequencer will keep ignoring it. Unfortunately 4.6 SP1 made this somewhat more cumbersome as you cannot invoke sequencing wizard from the Tools -menu anymore right after modifying exclusion list.

/Kalle

Monday, July 4, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Hi,

Our sequencer chap also found the same (%CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%\TechSmith\Snagit\Accessories) and it has now been included, however we still have the same issue.

Can you confirm that your sequenced 10.x works as expecred on a client ?

Thanks,

RL

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:28 PM
  • Yes, it worked, just copy this files in the client and you will see it :), chech that when its deployed you have these files or in the sequenced pkg or in the client. Otherway, try with all the directory (%CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%\TechSmith\Snagit\). But works 100% :).
    We can do things in a "Good" way(DEL) or in a "Brute" way(SHIFT+DEL).
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:30 AM
  • Still having problems with this... We have definately included %CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%\TechSmith\Snagit\Accessories and can see it in the Virtual File System in the sequencer editor.

We have also copied the "accessories" folder to the clients physical hard drive.

However the Outputs to Word etc do not appear.

How exactly do you "copy these files to the client"?

Thanks,

RL

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Not only "accessories" all "Snagit" Folder  in (%CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%\TechSmith\Snagit\) to the client and you will see how it works, then just add all Snagit folder in the sequence. and then it works.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:10 PM
  • I give up. ..

I installed it on a VM locally. Copied out the snagit folder and contents from %APPDATA%\local\techsmith and pasted into the same location on a client.

We also sequenced it and included the %CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%\TechSmith\Snagit\Accessories in the package.

I deploy the sequence to the same desktop that has already had the %APPDATA%\local\techsmith copied to it and nothing / nada.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:21 PM
  • I give up. ..

I installed it on a VM locally. Copied out the snagit folder and contents from %APPDATA%\local\techsmith and pasted into the same location on a client.

We also sequenced it and included the %CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%\TechSmith\Snagit\Accessories in the package.

I deploy the sequence to the same desktop that has already had the %APPDATA%\local\techsmith copied to it and nothing / nada.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:23 PM
  • So, i just did the package again and tryed in a new client. i needed to do this...

Here is my .sprt:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <SEQUENCERPROJECT Version="(4.6.1.20870)">
    	<PACKAGEFILE Path=""/>
    	<DEFAULTS>
    		<DEFAULT Name="AllowMSI" Value="Yes"/>
    		<DEFAULT Name="DisableVE" Value="No"/>
    		<DEFAULT Name="Rebase" Value="No"/>
    		<DEFAULT Name="VirtualServices" Value="Yes"/>
    		<DEFAULT Name="UseSecurityDescriptors" Value="No"/>
    		<DEFAULT Name="AllowMUADuringMonitoring" Value="No"/>
    		<DEFAULT Name="AppendPackageVersionToFilename" Value="Yes"/>
    		<DEFAULT Name="CompressPackage" Value="No"/>
    	</DEFAULTS>
    	<DEFAULTOSD>&lt;SOFTPKG&gt;&lt;IMPLEMENTATION&gt;&lt;CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:554/"/&gt;&lt;VIRTUALENV&gt;&lt;POLICIES&gt;&lt;LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED&gt;FALSE&lt;/LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED&gt;&lt;/POLICIES&gt;&lt;/VIRTUALENV&gt;&lt;OS VALUE="Win2008R2TS64"/&gt;&lt;OS VALUE="Win764"/&gt;&lt;/IMPLEMENTATION&gt;&lt;/SOFTPKG&gt;
    </DEFAULTOSD>
    	<DELETEDOBJECTS/>
    	<PARSERITEMS>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_APPDATA%\Microsoft\Crypto" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA%\Microsoft\Crypto" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA%\Microsoft\Search\Data" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_COOKIES%" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_HISTORY%" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_INTERNET_CACHE%" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_PERSONAL%" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_PROFILE%\Local Settings" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_PROFILE%\NTUSER.DAT.LOG1" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_PROFILE%\NTUSER.DAT.LOG2" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_RECENT%" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_WINDOWS%\Debug\" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_WINDOWS%\Logs\CBS" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_WINDOWS%\Temp\" Context="EXC_BOTH" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_WINDOWS%\WinSxS\ManifestCache" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%CSIDL_WINDOWS%\WindowsUpdate.log" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="%TMP%" Context="EXC_BOTH" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="C:\$Recycle.Bin\" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Logs" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Scratch" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Sequencer x64" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Sequencer x64\Logs" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Sequencer x64\Scratch" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="N:\$Recycle.Bin\" Context="VFS_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography" Context="VRG_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Cryptography" Context="VRG_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="\REGISTRY\USER\%SFT_SID%\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU" Context="VRG_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    		<EXCLUSION Pattern="\REGISTRY\USER\%SFT_SID%\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams" Context="VRG_EXC" Type="PSR_DataSystem"/>
    	</PARSERITEMS>
    </SEQUENCERPROJECT>

and just for Snagit.osd (the RunAsInvoker)

<VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
    	<POLICIES>
    		<LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>FALSE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>
    	</POLICIES>
    	<ENVLIST>
    		<ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE="__COMPAT_LAYER">RunAsInvoker</ENVIRONMENT>
    	</ENVLIST>
    </VIRTUALENV>
    <OS VALUE="Win2008R2TS64"/>
    <OS VALUE="Win764"/>

Remember that i did for a 64bit Machine, Just realize that in the .sprt i dont have %CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA% in excluded.

Just in case, during the installation remember to go in Custom installation and then install all the options in the local machine I install all.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:23 AM