none
Copy and Paste Special 2010 vs 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have two questions reference the copy paste functionality in Microsoft Project Pro 2010.

1.  The paste special option to paste special project data available in Microsoft Project 2007 is not available in Project Pro 2010.  Instead it is replaced with paste as HTML.    Is there a way to copy the formatting from another task with roll-up sub tasks so they are correctly displayed? 

2.  When I try to copy a task and its subtasks into a project summary milestone file it moves the project being pasted into a Summary instead of a project summary position at the top of the file.  The date on the task is before all the other tasks in the file.  However, the project in question is not a summary of the other projects.  How do I paste it in such a way as to carry over the formatting for the summary from the other files?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Julie

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:52 PM

All replies

• Julie,

An example would be helpful in understanding exactly what you are trying to do. Perhaps a screen shot.

With regard to Project 2010 Pro, it DOES have "project data" as one of the options for paste special. You just have to select the whole task line, not just one field. If you are trying to replicate the formatting of just one field, then you don't need paste special, you can use plain old paste.

Not sure what you are trying to do in your second question. How do you get the whole project? Are you in a master file? Again, a more detailed example would help us help you.

If you are trying to copy and paste a summary task and all its subtasks from one file to another, first collapse the summary line, then copy it. When you paste, the summary with its subtasks appear in the new file.

John

Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:55 AM
  • Julie, I'm with John on needing a bit more detail on your questions.

On 1), if you are copying from one cell to another, there is still a 'paste special' option which prompts for Paste or Paste Link. The exact options under each of these depends on what you're copying. If you only want to copy the text formatting (font, etc.), then use the format painter. If you want to set the format for the Gantt bars for rollup tasks, then use the bar styles formatting.

On 2), inserting a project into a another does make the inserted project look like a summary within the master project. If you want the project you are copying/inserting to show at the project summary position, then it needs to be as the project, not a copied or inserted one. The same questions about what you're trying to format apply here as with 1).

Graham

Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:18 PM