none
SharePoint 2013 RTM Configuration Database in a SharePoint 2016 RTM Farm

Question

• Hello Community,

I am working in a new SharePoint 2016 Farm and I just noticed that farm has a SharePoint 2013 RTM Configuration Database but the patches on the web server are at the SharePoint 2016 RTM.

Is this normal?  Can I patch my way out of this configuration? Do I have to just re-install.

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Molskow - Senior SharePoint Architect - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 and 2012 Award - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• There is something wrong with your description. The most likely reason for this is that you're confused about what you're seeing.

Why do you think you have a SharePoint 2013 RTM content database in the farm?

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Thanks for your response. 

From CA -> System Settings -> Manage Servers in this Farm -> Servers in Farm -> Configuration database version - the version starts with 15

From CA -> Upgrade and Migration -> Check Product and Patch Installation Status -> Version - the version starts with 16

Checked the version numbers both are RTM

Tom Molskow - Senior SharePoint Architect - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 and 2012 Award - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy

Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:02 PM
  • This sound very weird but am sure you know this or tried already if not:

What is the build version you're getting when you run (Get-SpFarm).buildversion?

What's the version on program and features for SP2016? 

I'm just curious on others sources return same results:) 

Finally, it's very highly unlikely to patch out from this. Totally different schema. 

Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:51 PM
  • That the numbers do not match is normal because SharePoint does not have a build version. Full Stop.

• Marked as answer by Tom Molskow Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:20 PM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:13 PM