none
Project Server Published Database - Predecessor, Successor and External Task Link RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I know I have asked this question before and I did get a work around with VB code for one client, but for me this is not acceptable.

Project Server Published Database has all key information about Predecessor, Successor and External Task Link, which we need for custom reporting especially when we use master scheduling. I want to query the published database so that I can get the info easily without any VB code maintenance.

Can someone please remind me why we still can't query published database for Predecessor, Successor and External Task Link information?

Thanks

SJ

Saturday, November 17, 2012 4:53 AM

Answers

• Hi

I am not sure what you mean with "why we still can't query the published database". Of couse you can. It is only a recommendation from Microsoft not to do so, because it is not documented and the architecture might change (as it does in 2013....).

But you can do it - we do it every day as there is some Information that you simply cannot get from the Reporting database.

I never tried to get that Information from the published database, but on a short look I did not find it. It might be it is only in the binary data column of the msp_tasks table?

But if you know were to find it - query it :-)

Regards

Christoph

• Proposed as answer by Xtenser Sunday, November 18, 2012 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by SJ_PPM Sunday, November 18, 2012 9:35 PM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:39 PM

All replies

• Hi

I am not sure what you mean with "why we still can't query the published database". Of couse you can. It is only a recommendation from Microsoft not to do so, because it is not documented and the architecture might change (as it does in 2013....).

But you can do it - we do it every day as there is some Information that you simply cannot get from the Reporting database.

I never tried to get that Information from the published database, but on a short look I did not find it. It might be it is only in the binary data column of the msp_tasks table?

But if you know were to find it - query it :-)

Regards

Christoph

• Proposed as answer by Xtenser Sunday, November 18, 2012 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by SJ_PPM Sunday, November 18, 2012 9:35 PM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Thanks Christoph!

Appreciate your feedback.

It is MSP_Links table which I wanted to query. Haven't got a chance to see Project 2013 schema yet, but will do soon.

Okay. I will query it. Actually...I have old Report Packs from PS2007 that MSFT published and one of the reports they published has datasets from the Published DB. Cool. I shall query it myself now as the schema for what I am after hasn't changed at all.

Thanks again!

SJ

Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:10 AM