Aero is not working, no DirectX errors or issues in the troubleshooter RRS feed

• Question

• This has all occurred after attempting to use a DisplayLink USB device to power another screen wirelessly. I have forcefully deleted it all off of my system and this issue persists.

What has happened (you can skip this if you want, it may or may not be important):

I plugged in the USB device to dupe my display to a TV, the DisplayLink program started configuring the new display. The screen flickered a bit, then went black for a log time. it came back on with only my cursor visible and it updated very slowly. Then, the display turns off and I hear my computers fans whirr up fast like they do when the computer is initially turned on. The BIOS hangs until I unplug the USB receiver/sender. Windows comes back up, no Aero and another BSOD in disguise when I try to do it again.

In an attempt to fix this, I uninstall the DisplayLink software. This did nothing. I then uninstalled the Radeon drivers for my HD 6850 and it crashes with the same blank screen and cursor as before when the display drivers were being uninstalled. I then finished the uninstallation after Windows restarted. Reinstalled latest drivers from AMD and nothing had changed. Between each of these stages, I have gone onto Personalisation and tried switching to a Aero profile.

I then forcefully deleted all DisplayLink files from my system by taking ownership and giving myself full control of the files. I also deleted everything I could from the registry that was related to DisplayLink software. Restart and no effect. I CCleanered all I could of remaining registry errors and DisplayLink objects.

Trying to find the issue:

Windows troubleshooter says that there are no issues it can detect on the system as to why Aero is not functioning. I ran a Fix it program and it said my graphics card or adapter was not suitable for Aero graphics and didn't support DirectX 9+. I've checked DirectX using dxdiag and it says there are no errors. However, I can play games that require DirectX 9.

sfc /scannow does say there are corrupt files, but I don't know what parts of the log are relevant and the log file is huge!

What can I do about this? It seems very elusive, since on checks that are meant to do the same thing, it brings up different results and all the usual fixes do nothing. My hardware is by far good enough to support Aero and has done since I got my machine last year.

On a possibly related note, my system is taking up huge amounts of RAM when I don't have much open. 3.5 GB... I've made a very brief estimate of the RAM usage displayed from programs in Task manager but it gets nowhere near 3.5 GB!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:37 AM

Answers

• I've found out this is because dwm.exe is crashing. The DWM service will start from command prompt, but the executable is not running.

The DisplayLink-related product I tried to install is made by Q-Waves for adding a display to the system wirelessly with two USB adapters. One goes into the TV and the other into the computer. When the computer side one started initiating, that is when my problem started.

I've tried to install newer Q-Waves software but I can't update the firmware on the PC adapter properly so it doesn't finishing installing. The Q-Waves site is very basic and doesn't have forums or anything. They provided an email address but it looks as if the site hasn't been updated in a year or so, so I may get no reply. The email hasn't bounced though, so something got it.

I'm going to the try the older software and do something with that.

• Marked as answer by tracycai Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:52 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you able to do the system restore? This will get the computer back to the normal.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore

To fix the corrupted system file, perform an In-Place upgrade to repair system.
    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Are you able to do the system restore? This will get the computer back to the normal.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Unfortunately, system restore is disable on my system because I'm using a SSD and I'd like to be careful about how many times the flash memory is written over. On an off topic note, is there a way to have system restore save the restore files to a non-primary HDD? I would turn it on if I knew this could be achieved.

What I have discovered through some trials is that the issue is something to do with Windows and my graphics card. When the graphics card's drivers (Catalyst) is uninstalled, the issue persists. When I unplug the power for the card from inside the computer, Aero is operational again, even if the Radeon drivers are still installed.

So the issue is how Windows is detecting or using the card for Aero. I don't think it is about how the card's capabilities are being detected though because the score on WEI is high enough and all DX9+ games work, plus I did that registry edit to tell Windows to not care about how capable the card is. This is some internal issue, and I have a feeling your repairing method is the only way this will be solved. Can you warn me on what sort of settings are affected by the repair?

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:17 PM
  • I've found out this is because dwm.exe is crashing. The DWM service will start from command prompt, but the executable is not running.

The DisplayLink-related product I tried to install is made by Q-Waves for adding a display to the system wirelessly with two USB adapters. One goes into the TV and the other into the computer. When the computer side one started initiating, that is when my problem started.

I've tried to install newer Q-Waves software but I can't update the firmware on the PC adapter properly so it doesn't finishing installing. The Q-Waves site is very basic and doesn't have forums or anything. They provided an email address but it looks as if the site hasn't been updated in a year or so, so I may get no reply. The email hasn't bounced though, so something got it.

I'm going to the try the older software and do something with that.

• Marked as answer by tracycai Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:52 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:43 PM