What to buy for a lightswitch application deployment to azure RRS feed

• Question

• What services, at a minimum, do I need to buy to host a simple lightswitch application (website, app, and single database) on Azure? It seems that a number of options could work, but what will offer the simpliest (not necessarily the cheapest) way to get started?

In addtion, what if I plan to add more applications in the future? What plan would make for the simpliest, most cost effective, expansion?

It is quite possible that this question has been answered already either in a forum post or through some other form of documentation and for that I apologize, but I am not able to find it (at least not easily). If this is a case, a link in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Dennis,

>> What services, at a minimum

From my experience, at a minimum, you need a Website (or a cloud service with a Web Role) and a SQL Database. Windows Azure Websites in general are easier to setup than cloud services. But they have some limitations. For instance, it is not allowed to run background tasks on separate machines (in cloud services you can use Worker Roles). Both Windows Azure websites and web roles can scale out.

>> It seems that a number of options could work, but what will offer the simpliest (not necessarily the cheapest) way to get started? 

From cost perspective, if you want to start small, you can use the pay as you go option. This allows you to pay for only what you use. For example, a single database + a single website. If you're fine with free mode website, then you don't even need to pay for the web part (free websites have limitations, such as CPU quota).

If, however, you plan to host a lot of websites and databases, you can choose a pre-paid offer, which gives you discounts.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu

Ming Xu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:28 PM