Force Computer & User's File icons to show on destop using GP? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Can I force Computer & User's File icons to show on destop using group policy? I cannot find the setting in GP Management. These 2 icons are hidden by default on Win7 Enterprise.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:07 AM

Answers

• You may try to configure the related policies under:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Desktop

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, August 6, 2010 5:30 AM
    Monday, August 2, 2010 3:08 AM

All replies

• Don't believe there is a Group Policy setting to force it on a desktop...
    You can place it in the All Users profile? That way users will get them every time they logon...
    Other ways of doing it (without some scripting) will allow users to remove the icons again and they won't get them (forced) back.

So i guess placing it in the All Users profile on each device would do the trick?

If you're more into changing the registry, you can change force the following registry tree (for example with a logon script...) to the users when they logon:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:42 PM
  • You may try to configure the related policies under:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Desktop

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, August 6, 2010 5:30 AM
    Monday, August 2, 2010 3:08 AM