Disk/file-handling in Win7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently upgraded from WinXP to Win7.
    There is one difference in disk/file-handling I am curious about...

When, for example, I download a big file from the net,
    or I run a batch-program that produces a huge datafile that will take some time to generate,
    I notice in Win7, that when the process starts it will create the file
    with 0 size or a tiny portion of the final size.

Then, if I watch the filesize in explorer, while the process is running,
    even thought the program writes to the file continuously,
    the file size does not seem to grow at all but stays 0 or very small,
    until the program completes and closes the file,
    at which point the final size suddenly shows up.

This is different from WinXP, where you can see the file growing continuously while it is written to
    (and from that you can also estimate how long the process  will take to complete).

Anyone knows the reason for this behaviour in Win7?
    Where I can read about it, and is it possible to restore the behaviour that WinXP had?

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, there are no changes both in Windows 7 and Windows XP.

I suggest that you may try to press F5 to manual refresh the folder during downloading or running batch files to produce a huge data. Then you can find the file size increasing.

If the issue persists, I suggest that you may perform a Clean Boot to narrow down any third party confliction issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

Also I want to share some information about IE9 downloading:

When you using IE9 to download a file, it would create a temporary file (*.partial) in the same path of the downloading file. The temporary file size would increase from 0 to the final size, and it should be delete after downloading.

In addition, you may use Process Monitor to check the action of downloading or the batch files running:

1.       Download Process Monitor.

2.       Run Process Monitor, then repro the issue(Download a file or run a batch file).

3.       Stop Process Monitor, find the process name you want to check. For example, if you want to check iexplorer.exe, find this process, right click the item and chose Include “iexplorer.exe”.

4.       Then you may check the detail action of this process.

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, July 4, 2011 2:29 AM