People Picker Control showing users from other domain even after running "searchadforests" command RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I run the command "stsadm -o setproperty -pn peoplepicker-searchadforests -pv domain:Company -url webapplicationURL", to restrict the people in people picker from other domains except "Company" domain, It removed most of the users from other forest, but not all. It looks to me, if a user from other forest has already been given permission for some of the sites under the site collection, then that user still shows up in people-picker. Any idea why? How can I remove all the users from people picker, except the users with domain "Company".

I am struck at this point, any help greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Kishore

Saturday, June 2, 2012 5:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Check the userinfo table of your content database for those entries.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

• Marked as answer by kishore002 Monday, June 4, 2012 2:21 AM
    Sunday, June 3, 2012 4:27 AM
  • Thanks Rahul,

You made my day. 

I even found a way to access the  list through UI, In every site collection we have one hidden list by name "User Information List" url for the list - http://mysite/_catalogs/users/simple.aspx

Thanks,

Kishore

Monday, June 4, 2012 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

I run the command "stsadm -o setproperty -pn peoplepicker-searchadforests -pv domain:Company -url webapplicationURL", to restrict the people in people picker from other domains except "Company" domain, It removed most of the users from other forest, but not all. It looks to me, if a user from other forest has already been given permission for some of the sites under the site collection, then that user still shows up in people-picker. Any idea why? How can I remove all the users from people picker, except the users with domain "Company".

I am struck at this point, any help greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Kishore

Saturday, June 2, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Hi,

When you do search from people picker it first looks in Content database-->SSP-->AD.

As the users from other domains already had permissions to the site there entries are available in Content database.

That is the reason they are still coming in the search results of people picker.

You can remove these users from site collection and thus their entries will be removed from the content database. After this they will not appear in future search results.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Saturday, June 2, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

When you do search from people picker it first looks in Content database-->SSP-->AD.

As the users from other domains already had permissions to the site there entries are available in Content database.

That is the reason they are still coming in the search results of people picker.

You can remove these users from site collection and thus their entries will be removed from the content database. After this they will not appear in future search results.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Saturday, June 2, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Hi Rahul,

Thank you for your quick response, I appreciate that.

I wrote a powershell script to find users permissions in the sitecollection and removed them, but I can still see those users in people picker, is there any thing I am missing, do I need to remove those users from any other place?

Thank you,

Kishore.

Sunday, June 3, 2012 2:01 AM
  • Hi Rahul,

Thank you for your quick response, I appreciate that.

I wrote a powershell script to find users permissions in the sitecollection and removed them, but I can still see those users in people picker, is there any thing I am missing, do I need to remove those users from any other place?

Thank you,

Kishore.

Sunday, June 3, 2012 2:04 AM
  • Hi,

Check the userinfo table of your content database for those entries.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Sunday, June 3, 2012 4:27 AM
  • Thanks Rahul,

You made my day. 

I even found a way to access the  list through UI, In every site collection we have one hidden list by name "User Information List" url for the list - http://mysite/_catalogs/users/simple.aspx

Thanks,

Kishore

Monday, June 4, 2012 2:21 AM