sequencing Adobe Reader RRS feed

• Question

• discovered that v-Adobe Reader fails to open a particular report from a web page.

Locally installed Reader works well.

I sequenced AR 6 month ago following the instructions on APPV recipes site (one of well known).

Before starting a new sequencing I would like to ask a suggestion/s.

I found instructions on Adobe site (updated Dec 2014). Can somebody review if all this should be done because they refer to appv 4.6 and I am running 5 sp2 HF5.

The most important for me points are 2, 19 and 26. Sure that we don't have Q: but PVD that I place on C:\Folder

The original link to official Adobe APPV deployment is here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/appv.html

My goal is to make fully enabled READER. Probably, before clicking I finished I will double check all preferences.

Thanks.

Creating an App-V package

Administrators can create their own App-V Reader package from scratch. Alternatively, use the Pkg Accelerator as described in Using the Pkg Accelerator.

Sequencing Adobe Reader XI

Prepare the sequencing machine following the guidelines provided in Microsoft’s  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351420.aspx.

Note

Failure to adhere to the best practices and following guidelines can cause errors in functionality. You may find it worthwhile to follow the MS example in Microsoft’s  http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/7/8/F784A197-73BE-48FF-83DA-4102C05A6D44/App-V/App-V%204.6%20Service%20Pack%201%20Sequencing%20Guide.docx.

To prepare a reference machine for sequencing:

1. Install the App-V Sequencer.

2. Configure the registry:

1. Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\SystemGuard\Overrides.
      2. Create a DWORD EnableVFSPassthrough.
      3. Set the value to 1.
    1. Start the Microsoft Sequencer.

2. Select  Create a new Virtual Application Package > Create Package.

3. Choose  Next.

4. If there are any warnings on the  Prepare Computer screen, take the needed actions to correct them.

5. Choose  Next.

6. On the  Type of Application screen, select  Standard Application as the default type.

7. Choose  Next.

8. On the  Select Installer screen, enter the path to your product installation files.

9. Choose  Next.

10. In the  Package Name screen, enter an application name (such as Adobe Reader XI) in the  Virtual Application field.

11. In the Installation screen, change  INSTALLDIR to Q:\<Package Name> (such as Adobe Reader XI), and follow the installation steps.

12. After the installation completes, check  I am finished installing.

13. Choose  Next.

14. After the application collects the system changes, choose  Next.

15. In the Configure screen, run Adobe Reader XI to complete first run tasks such as accepting the EULA.

16. Review the Installation Report which detects common sequencing issues during sequencing.

17. On the Customize screen choose  Customize:

1. Choose  Edit Shortcuts.
      2. On the Edit Shortcuts screen, choose  Add.
      3. Browse to each the following (change the path as needed) and choose  Save:
      • Q:\<Package Name>\Reader\Reader\AdobeCollabSync.exe
      • Q:\<Package Name>\Reader\Reader \AcroRd32Info.exe
      • Q:\<Package Name>\Reader\Reader\PDFPrevHndlrShim.exe
      1. Edit the versions of all the four exes from 11.0.0.379 to 11.0.0.
      2. Choose  Next without further customizations.
    18. In the Prepare for Streaming screen, run the application to create the primary feature block. Feature block 1 and Feature block 2 are required:

• Feature Block 1: The minimum necessary block of data required for successful launch
      • Feature Block 2: Streamed to the client PC as the user starts using the application
    19. As each application shuts down, choose  Next.

20. On Restrict Operating Systems for this package screen, select the operating systems on which this package should work.

21. Choose  Next.

22. Save the package by clicking on Create button.

23. Close the package.

24. Open all of the OSD files in a text editor and do the following:

1. For each OSD, change the value of LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED tag from FALSE to TRUE under the <POLICIES> tag.
      2. Add the following policies in all of the OSD files under the <POLICIES> tag:
    <VIRTUAL_FILE_SYSTEM_PASS_THROUGH>TRUE</VIRTUAL_FILE_SYSTEM_PASS_THROUGH>
    <VIRTUAL_REGISTRY_PASS_THROUGH>TRUE</VIRTUAL_REGISTRY_PASS_THROUGH>
    <ENFORCE_ACLS_ON_VREG_MODIFY>TRUE</ENFORCE_ACLS_ON_VREG_MODIFY>

1. Optional (This step is only needed when there will be both a local Acrobat and App-V Reader on the system): Remove the following lines from the Reader XI OSD:
    <FILEEXTENSION EXT="pdf" PROGID="AcroExch.Document.11" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/pdf" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
    <SHELLNEW ENABLED="FALSE"/>
    </FILEEXTENSION>

1. Save the OSD files.

2. Launch the Sequencer and Reopen the package in Edit Mode.

3. Choose the OSD tab.

4. From all the OSDs except Adobe Reader XI, remove all the shortcuts under MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST element.

5. Disable updates:

1. Go to the Virtual Registry System.
      2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\11.0\FeatureLockDown.
      3. Create a new DWORD called bUpdater.
      4. Set the value to 0.
    1. Save the package so that the changes are saved in the manifest file.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:01 PM

Answers

• I'd recommend that you don't follow that recipe as there's a lot there that's App-V 4.6 specific BUT, having said that, point # 32 is still relevant (setting bUpdater to 0)

Also, see this - https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2900929

Aaron Parker has delved very deeply into the deployment of Acrobat Reader in an enterprise environment so you will find a lot of good info on settings etc here: http://stealthpuppy.com/adobe-reader-xi-deployment/

So you didn't have any luck troubleshooting the web page / report problem?

• Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, January 30, 2015 12:10 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:07 PM

All replies

• I'd recommend that you don't follow that recipe as there's a lot there that's App-V 4.6 specific BUT, having said that, point # 32 is still relevant (setting bUpdater to 0)

Also, see this - https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2900929

Aaron Parker has delved very deeply into the deployment of Acrobat Reader in an enterprise environment so you will find a lot of good info on settings etc here: http://stealthpuppy.com/adobe-reader-xi-deployment/

So you didn't have any luck troubleshooting the web page / report problem?

• Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, January 30, 2015 12:10 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:07 PM
  • thanks for the info.

trying to dig in ....

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Friday, January 30, 2015 12:10 AM