App-V 5 scripts not running RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone clue me in on the secret to getting scripts to run in App-V 5?  Ive tried several different scripts and cant get anything to run.

My client shows that package scripts are enabled.

userscripts in my User_config are not commented out.

Ive tried:

<UserScripts>
          <StartProcess RunInVirtualEnvironment="true">
            <Path>c:\windows\system32\wscript.exe</Path>
            <Arguments>\\server\share$\test.vbs</Arguments>
            <Wait RollbackOnError="true" />
          </StartProcess>
        </UserScripts>

<UserScripts>
          <PublishPackage>
            <Path>%windir%\system32\notepad.exe</Path>
            <Arguments></Arguments>
            <Wait RollbackOnError="true" Timeout="30"/>
          </PublishPackage>
        </UserScripts>

<UserScripts>
          <StartVirtualEnvironment RunInVirtualEnviornment=”false”>
            <Path>%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\CMD.EXE</Path>
            <Arguments>/K “\\server\share$\Map.bat”</Arguments>
          </StartVirtualEnvironment>
        </UserScripts>

None of the scripts appear to run and I see nothing in the APP-V events logs that even mention the scripts.m  The apps do get published and run.  What am I missing?
    Monday, February 25, 2013 3:03 PM

Answers

• I discovered atleast one reason my scripts were not working.  It looks like publishing an app does not throw an error if your config file is corrupt unless you explicilty set which config file to use.  Anotherwords when you publish, it uses the machine and user config files stored with the app.  If the user config is corrupt, it will try to apply it, fail, and not tell you it is invalid.  If you had specified that same user config with –DynamicUserConfigurationPath, it does tell you its invalid.  Im my case I had a typo in the user config.  The script didnt appear to be running and other changes in the user config were not getting applied but I wasnt getting any error messages when I published.  When I specified that same user config using –DynamicUserConfigurationPath, it told me it was invalid.  Once I fixed the typo the user config started working again.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:36 PM
  • And here is another reason my scripts were not working.  Some of the scripts in the sequencing guide do not work.  The script below is from the guide and it has 2 problems.  Environment is spelled wrong and the open and close quotes will not work, it has to be standard quotes "" not ””.

<Arguments>/K “\\appvserver\content\Map.bat”</Arguments>

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:20 PM

All replies

• Have you enabled script execution on the client? (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Scripting   EnablePackageScripts = 1)

Falko

Monday, February 25, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Yes as I had already mentioned, package scripts are enabled.
    Monday, February 25, 2013 3:14 PM
  • I have also tried machine scripts and cant get them to run either.  Even trying to run something local doesnt seem to work.  I do have admin rights and UAC is not enabled.

<MachineScripts>
          <PublishPackage>
            <Path>c:\test.exe</Path>
            <Arguments></Arguments>
          </PublishPackage>

<AddPackage>
            <Path>c:\test.exe</Path>
            <Arguments></Arguments>
          </AddPackage>
        </MachineScripts>

Name                                    Value                                                          SetByGroupPolicy
    ----                                    -----                                                          ----------------
    PackageInstallationRoot                 %programdata%\App-V                                                       False
    PackageSourceRoot                                                                                                 False
    LocationProvider                                                                                                  False
    AutoLoad                                1                                                                         False
    EnablePackageScripts                    1                                                                         False
    ReestablishmentInterval                 5                                                                         False
    ReestablishmentRetries                  3                                                                         False
    CertFilterForClientSsl                  LOCAL_MACHINE\MY\1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.2                                        False
    VerifyCertificateRevocationList         1                                                                         False
    SharedContentStoreMode                  0                                                                         False
    MigrationMode                           0                                                                         False
    RoamingFileExclusions                                                                                             False
    RoamingRegistryExclusions               SOFTWARE\CLASSES                                                          False
    AllowHighCostLaunch                     0                                                                         False
    IntegrationRootUser                     %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client...                                   False
    IntegrationRootGlobal                   %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\AppV\Cli...                                   False
    VirtualizableExtensions                 exe,com,bat,cmd,vbs,ps1,cpl,jar,wsf,...                                   False
    ReportingEnabled                        0                                                                         False
    ReportingStartTime                                                                                                False
    ReportingRandomDelay                                                                                              False
    ReportingInterval                                                                                                 False
    ReportingServerURL                                                                                                False
    ReportingDataCacheLimit                                                                                           False
    ReportingDataBlockSize                                                                                            False
    ExperienceImprovementOptIn              0                                                                         False
    Monday, February 25, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Hello,

Have you applied the configuration files?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, February 25, 2013 4:26 PM
  • Thats an excellent question.  It was my understanding that is was possible to apply a specific config file to a package but I thought it was always using the config files that were with the package unless you specified otherwise.

I did try specifying the user config and the script still does not run.

Add-AppvClientPackage "\\server\share$\test\test.appv" | Publish-AppvClientPackage –DynamicUserConfigurationPath  "\\server\share$\test\test_userconfig.xml"

<UserScripts>
          <StartProcess RunInVirtualEnvironment="false">
            <Path>C:\test.exe</Path>
            <Arguments></Arguments>
            <Wait RollbackOnError="true"/>
          </StartProcess>

</UserScripts>

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:59 PM
  • Hello,

Was there an event that the config-file was successfully applied?

<UserScripts> <StartProcess RunInVirtualEnvironment="true"> <Path>VFS\ProgramFilesX86\App\dosomething.exe</Path> <Arguments>-WithArgs</Arguments> <Wait RollbackOnError="true"/> <ApplicationId>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\Contoso\ContosoApp.EXE</ApplicationId> </StartProcess>

</UserScripts>

The above is an example of howto do it - you are missign several parts of it. For example the ApplicationID - which needs to match the application that will trigger the script

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Edited by znack Monday, February 25, 2013 7:21 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 7:10 PM
  • It looks like the machine and user config files are automatically applied unless you specify other files to use. 

ApplicationId is apparently required for StartProcess and I was finally able to get that one working.  I was also able to get the StartVirtualEnvironment script working although  I have no idea why it wasnt working before.

I still cant the PublishPackage script to work, no idea why.

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:42 PM
  • I discovered atleast one reason my scripts were not working.  It looks like publishing an app does not throw an error if your config file is corrupt unless you explicilty set which config file to use.  Anotherwords when you publish, it uses the machine and user config files stored with the app.  If the user config is corrupt, it will try to apply it, fail, and not tell you it is invalid.  If you had specified that same user config with –DynamicUserConfigurationPath, it does tell you its invalid.  Im my case I had a typo in the user config.  The script didnt appear to be running and other changes in the user config were not getting applied but I wasnt getting any error messages when I published.  When I specified that same user config using –DynamicUserConfigurationPath, it told me it was invalid.  Once I fixed the typo the user config started working again.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:36 PM
  • And here is another reason my scripts were not working.  Some of the scripts in the sequencing guide do not work.  The script below is from the guide and it has 2 problems.  Environment is spelled wrong and the open and close quotes will not work, it has to be standard quotes "" not ””.

<Arguments>/K “\\appvserver\content\Map.bat”</Arguments>

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:20 PM