none
search result data from two content sources RRS feed

• Question

• I have a system where documents are stored in file system and their metadata properties are stored in database tables.now I need to search for these documents from a fast search site.i completed the below items.

Created a search site
    Created 2 content sources - a bcs for the database table and another content sources for the file system.
    When I do a search am getting two search results for one document one result comes from the bdc and the other from file system.
    My requirement is for each search result the description column should be fetched from the file system content source and the title,URL and other database Columns should cons from the file system.
    Is this doable?
    Friday, September 14, 2012 4:09 AM

All replies

• I have a system where documents are stored in file system and their metadata properties are stored in database tables.now I need to search for these documents from a fast search site.i completed the below items.

Created a search site
    Created 2 content sources - a bcs for the database table and another content sources for the file system.
    When I do a search am getting two search results for one document one result comes from the bdc and the other from file system.
    My requirement is for each search result the description column should be fetched from the file system content source and the title,URL and other database Columns should cons from the file system.
    Is this doable?

Sure, you can do one of a few things

1) Use pipeline extensibility. As the file system crawl is happening, use an executable to get the database data and attach it

2) Use the FAST Content API. Deprecated and not forward compatible, but you can write C# code to iterate through the directory and merge the data

3) Use BCS, and when you need to read the file system data, use a StreamAccessor

Friday, September 14, 2012 5:56 PM
  • I would like to go with option#2 but can I use the deprecated FAST Content API? Would it be risky to implement as it is not supported?

It would be nice if you could point me to some of the sampel codes using FAST Content API.

Monday, September 17, 2012 10:42 AM
  • If I use the FAST Content API's IDocumentFeeder and implement the AddDocument method , would I be able to populate the managed properties of the documents that am going to add from the database?
    Monday, September 17, 2012 11:41 PM