expand group(not creating tasks for users) issue in sharepoint 2013 designer workflow. RRS feed

• Question

• we are facing expand group(not creating tasks for users) issue in sharepoint 2013 designer workflow.

When we set expand group to true we are still not able to assign task to individual members within group(sharepoint 2013 designer workflow.) Its not working for many people in multiple threads. is this fixed in any CU?

MCTS Sharepoint 2010, MCAD dotnet, MCPDEA, SharePoint Lead

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Amit,

Please verify the followings:

1. After Participants, select Parallel(all at a once)
    2. Expand Task Options, select ‘Assign a task to each member within groups’
    3. Open the action properties, make sure ExpandGroup is Yes

If this issue still exists, please install SharePoint 2013 Service Pack 1, compare the result.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Wendy

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 3:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Amit,

If this issue still exists, please install SharePoint 2013 Service Pack 1, compare the result.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Wendy

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 3:05 AM
  • Hi wendy,

I am doing exactly same steps without success.

It only assigns task to group and not to each members within group.

I will check with SP1 on one of the machines. I hope current SP1 is stable.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:31 PM
  • Hi Amit,

Did you try implementing SP1? Did it solve the ExpandGroup problem?

Friday, May 9, 2014 6:33 AM
  • I can not try SP1 as we have multiple production environments and we are waiting for SP1 to be stable(does not break anything- I have seen blogs where things broke after sp1)

The expand group is working for normal AD users in group but its not working for custom STS users from database. I can see those users in sharepoint group and I can send email or assign task to them directly. But expand group does not recognize so what we do put those users in a list column and then assign task to those but its not very efficient.

Friday, May 9, 2014 11:20 AM
  • In our development environment SP1 introduced a new bug in our User Profile Service Application which blocked all workflows from running - the User Profile Service Application couldn't connect with the Forefront Identity Manager Service. Even complete recreation of the service application didn't help.

Sadly Microsoft is still working on the problem. I tested the SP1 installation on a fresh installation of SharePoint configured with same configuration steps as the previous one (now broken). The only difference is that no CU was installed before installing SP1. The SharePoint farm is fully functional AND the ExpandGroup problem is fixed. My guess is that SP1 can destabilize an environment with March 2013 PU, December 2013 CU or October 2013 CU previously installed.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:25 AM
  • Thanks 

Maciej Maksymowicz.

We will wait for few months as this needs to be done in production and we definitely can not afford for workflows to be stopped in live environment.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:52 AM
  • This is also happening with SharePoint Online (Office 365), so I am unable to install SP1.  Any updates on a resolution from Microsoft?
    Monday, June 23, 2014 2:43 AM
  • Hi, the same is happening to us with SharePoint Online. ExpandGroup = Yes, with option Parallel (all at once).

This is only assigning the task to the first user in the group.

What is the solution to this???

Monday, October 20, 2014 5:53 PM
  • Any update? Don't work with and without sp1. Try this problem (expand group (not creating tasks for users) in Office 360 - the same, not expand.
    • Edited by SergBn Friday, March 18, 2016 3:45 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:41 AM
  • Any update in Sharepoint Online?

It still does not work - neither 2010 or 2013. I'm trying with security group, not sharepoint group. Office 365 (unified) group could not be used in Sharepoint online, it just does not see it.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:22 PM
  • I did have the same issue with my client.

For us, the solution was to change the settings of the selected group.

1. Go to the SharePoint group you tried to select in your people and group field.
    2. Under 'Settings' choose 'Group settings'
    3. Scroll to the 'Group settings' section (under Group owner) and select 'Everyone' as an answer to the question 'Who can view group members?'

(As we use a Dutch language pack, the English translations in this post could be a little bit different than the SharePoint default)

• Proposed as answer by S. 12h Thursday, June 1, 2017 12:55 PM
    • Edited by S. 12h Thursday, June 1, 2017 12:56 PM
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 12:55 PM
  • Hi Amit,

It's too late to reply for your question but my answer will be useful for the users who are facing the same problem now.

Install SharePoint 2013 Service Pack 1

• Next to Participants, Select Parallel(all at a once)
    • Expand Task Options, select "Assign a task to each member within groups"
    • Open the Start Task process action properties and make sure ExpandGroup as Yes & ParallelAssignment as Yes
    • Open SharePoint Group settings and make sure "Who can view the membership of the group?"  to Everyone and "Who can edit the membership of the group?" Group members.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks and Regards, Harish

Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:05 AM