WSUS post configuration error (0x80004005) The system cannot find the file specified RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am reinstalling WSUS on a 2012r2 Server fully patched. Every time I try to re-install, I get the following error in the log:

2018-09-27 14:53:59  Marking PostInstall done for UpdateServices-WidDatabase in the registry...
    2018-09-27 14:53:59  Starting service W3SVC
    2018-09-27 14:54:00  Configuring IIS...
    2018-09-27 14:54:00  Start: ConfigureWebsite
    2018-09-27 14:54:00  Configuring website on port 8530
    2018-09-27 14:54:01  System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified
       at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
       at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.UseCustomWebSite.ExecuteIisCustomAction(String arguments)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.UseCustomWebSite.InstallAndConfigure(IisConfiguration& iisConfiguration, Int32 newPortNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.UseCustomWebSite.CreateWebsite(Int32 newPortNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.ConfigureWebsite(Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)

and if I try to launch the command from PowerShell I can see:

Post install is starting
    Fatal Error: The system cannot find the file specified

The postinstallation task is trying to configure IIS but there are some file(s) missing, but there is no way to find which one.

The WID database is correctly created and configured (confirmed in the log)

The two folders "UpdateServicesPackages" and "WsusContent" are created under my content dir (S:\Updates) and permissions are set correctly

Before trying to reinstall, I always:

- remove the WSUS role and reboot.

- delete the folder C:\Program Files\Update Services

- delete UpdateServices-*.XML files in C:\Windows\System32\ServerManager\ComponentConfiguration (note: the file UpdateServices-Services contains the correct value for "ContentDirectory")

- delete the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Update Services

- remove the WSUS rules in the local Firewall

- remove the Windows Internal Database feature and the C:\windows\WID folder

- remove IIS role and reboot

- remove the folder C:\inetpub

- remove the features "Windows Process Activation Service" and "ASP .NET 4.5"

moreover I tried:

- to install each feature and role one by one in the right order

- check system with SFC /scannow and DISM

- remove the C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv and copy it form a server configured exactly the same way

- give the network service read permissions on the content folder as suggested in some posts

- remove and re-create the content folder

- start the WSUS service (because at this point of the postinstall it is stopped and disabled)

- removed .NET 4.7 with the cleanup tool

Any other ideas ?   I guess that someone will tell me to start from scratch reinstalling a new server, but this is not an option for now.

Thank you in advance,

Regards

Eric

Thursday, September 27, 2018 3:45 PM

All replies