none
Resource sharing RRS feed

• Question

• What is meant by Pool takes Precedence and Sharer takes precedence. If Please explain me with an example.

Regards,

Shiv 

Sivakumar.G (Project Management Consultant)

Monday, February 2, 2015 2:12 PM

All replies

• By setting "Pool takes precedence" you are placing the pool as the one source of information about the resource - his/her name, working time etc.  For example:  a resource informs a project manager that she is going to take next Tuesday off.  If the project manager records the non-working day in his schedule, when the schedule is updated, the non-working time disappears, because the change in calendar was not done in the pool file.

The recommendation is to keep "Pool takes precedence" and as part of the process, an individual is made the collector of all resource data.  The pool is updated with the data and the information about the change is communicated to all project managers who are connected to the pool.

Monday, February 2, 2015 2:50 PM
  • Hi Julie Sheets

Nice Example please show me for sharer takes precedence option with an example

Regards,

Shiv

Sivakumar.G (Project Management Consultant)

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 7:33 AM
  • I personally would not recommend using Sharer tasks precedence as it can lead to a battle among Project Managers.  Taking the same example above: Mary is a resource assigned to multiple projects and multiple assignments.  She talks to Alan (PM) and tells him that she is going to take the first week in March off.  Alan looks at his schedule and Mary is not assigned to any tasks that week.  He says okay and updates Mary's working calendar with the week of leave.

Brian opens his project and see that a number of his tasks have been moved.  He spends quite a bit of time and finally figures out that Mary's calendar has been changed and the assignments for Mary in his project have been moved.  He goes to Mary's calendar and removes her week of leave.  His schedule is now fine.  Two days later, Alan notices that Mary's non-working time is gone.  Thinking he has done something incorrectly, he puts the non-working time back.

I think you can guess what happens next time Brian opens his project file.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:52 PM