none
Two DPM 2012 R2 Servers - one tape library split logically RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We’re looking to purchase a new tape library with two LTO6 drives.  We wanted to share the library between the two DPM servers using the tape library sharing option, but to do this we’d need to attach the library via ISCSI as we don’t have a fibre channel SAN. Unfortunately the one I could find only has a 1 GB ISCSI Bridge which really isn’t enough to drive the two LTO6 drives that are inside it. 

So, I’m looking into the idea of SAS attaching the library directly to both DPM servers then partitioning the library into two logical libraries so that each DPM server see’s the library independently.  Although the library supports this option, is this supported by DPM and has anyone got their library configured this way?  We’re looking at the HP MSL4048 range.

Many thanks.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, I can confirm that DPM can work with hardware partitioned libraries. The only problem I see is that each library will only have a single drive, so that means you can only have a single long term recovery goal.

DPM does tape copies of daily tapes to make the weekly tape, and copies of the weekly tape to make the monthly tapes etc.  You should see a warning when you go throught the PG Wizard if you only have a single tape drive.

When you go throught the PG Wizard for a PG that has two or more long-term recovery goals specified, and you only have a single tape drive, on the "Specifylibrary and tape details" page, you should see a yellow ! with "Please ensure that there are a minimum of two tape drives or two tape libraries for copy backups to succeed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by PM-12 Monday, June 16, 2014 12:12 PM
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, I can confirm that DPM can work with hardware partitioned libraries. The only problem I see is that each library will only have a single drive, so that means you can only have a single long term recovery goal.

DPM does tape copies of daily tapes to make the weekly tape, and copies of the weekly tape to make the monthly tapes etc.  You should see a warning when you go throught the PG Wizard if you only have a single tape drive.

When you go throught the PG Wizard for a PG that has two or more long-term recovery goals specified, and you only have a single tape drive, on the "Specifylibrary and tape details" page, you should see a yellow ! with "Please ensure that there are a minimum of two tape drives or two tape libraries for copy backups to succeed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by PM-12 Monday, June 16, 2014 12:12 PM
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:29 PM
  • Thanks for the response, Mike.   That could present a problem.  I didn’t realise it did it this way.

Can I have some protection groups with Weekly long term goals and some with Monthly long term goals?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

<snip>
    Can I have some protection groups with Weekly long term goals and some with Monthly long term goals?
    >snip<

Yes, each protection group has their own goals, so you can have different goals in each.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:31 PM