office 2016 H&B group policy support RRS feed

• Question

• In the Office 2013 Editions comparison matrix, only Office 2013 Standard and Pro Plus were shown has having Group Policy support. Honestly, I was surprised to see that ANY version didn't have GP support, but that's what it said.

In the Office 2016 Editions comparison matrix, Group Policy is not even addressed. Standard, which is what we've bought before, isn't even offered any more, so we'll probably be going with O2016 H&B.

Does O2016 H&B support Group Policy?

Thanks!

[Edit]

And now I find this:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49030

System Requirements are O2016 ProPlus or O365 ProPlus.

For a company that uses nothing except Word, Excel and Outlook, ProPlus is overkill.

There was a time when GP was supported by the individual products and not the Office SKU. Evidently, that time passed sometime on or before O2013 and I just didn't know it. But if the Office component was installed, it worked with Group Policy, no matter how it was bundled. Group Policy was one of the reasons Microsoft products are "Better Together." Really unhappy Microsoft has discontinued Standard and pulled back on GP support.

• Edited by JRVCr Monday, October 19, 2015 3:07 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2015 2:54 PM

Answers

• Hi JRVCr,

You have found the answer for your problem.

As you see in office 2016 only Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 and Microsoft Office ProPlus apps support Group Policy.

So Office 2016 Home and Business don't support Group Policy.

Regards,

Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:07 AM

All replies

• Hi JRVCr,

You have found the answer for your problem.

As you see in office 2016 only Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 and Microsoft Office ProPlus apps support Group Policy.

So Office 2016 Home and Business don't support Group Policy.

Regards,

Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:07 AM
  • what are the alternatives to push Word 2010 Business Premium preferences to end users as it does not support group policy? Manipulate with registry only? Or can something be done in portal.office.com central admin?

I'm talking about stuff like template / startup folder location, add-ons, macro setting etc.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:18 AM
  • According to this site Group Policy IS supported for Office 2016 Standard, but the web page that JRVcr references clearly says Office 2016 Professional Plus is needed.  I arrived at this posting after searching for clarification as I cannot believe Professional Plus is needed.  (Web site:  https://products.office.com/en-us/business/microsoft-office-volume-licensing-suites-comparison.)

Can we get an authoritative answer from someone who works for Microsoft to answer the question in a helpful way?  Seriously, the "answer" from Emi Zhang is an insult to Microsoft's customers.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 5:51 PM
  • Hi Eddie

Not an authoritative answer from someone who works at Microsoft, but an anecdotal answer from the OP. We're managing Office 2016 Standard VL by GPO...it supports Group Policy.

Emi, and the link I posted, are both incorrect.

• Edited by JRVCr Thursday, October 6, 2016 6:01 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 5:59 PM
  • We're managing Office 2016 Standard VL by GPO...it supports Group Policy.

Many thanks, that's good to know. Volume Licensing would appear to be the only way forward (since I already got caught out with a handful of Office 2013 OEM licenses).

Kind Regards, Stephen

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:23 PM