Windows XP slows down after consuming memory (GUI refresh problem, performances) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all !

I encounter an issue that I cannot understand. I am a . NET developer and I am running on Windows XP Pro SP3. Every day, I develop apps using Visual Studio. Often, I use Dotfuscator within Visual Studio. Dotfuscator uses much memory when obfuscating. This is my issue :

I have two screens configured as Dualview. After obfuscating, everything I do on my screens refreshes very slowly. If I minimize an application, and then restore it, the windows form draws itself very slowly. Also, it's seems like my system has a global slowdown issue.

I think this can be a memory problem, because I sometime get a memory ressources message when lauching apps such as process explorer (not enough ressources to lauch the app).

The only workaround I found is to restart my machine... Why ?

Can I do something ? I don't want to buy another machine, and for professionnal reasons, I have to run under Windows XP Pro x86 and 4 GB of RAM.

My config :

=======

- Microsoft Windows XP Professionnel 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Nu 2600

- Intel mainboard Model DG965WH

- Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~2664 Mhz

- Physical memory 4'096.00 MB

Thanks for helping me !

Best regards.

Matteo, .NET Developer and System Engineer
    Friday, October 21, 2011 3:00 PM

Answers

• since windows XP 32 bit version supports only 4GB of RAM, you can increase the virtual memory so that applications run faster and they can use the hard disk as RAM (place to store the pagefile.sys). here is how you can increase the virtual memory:

1.Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    2.In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    3.In the Performance pane, click Settings.
    4.In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    5.In the Virtual memory pane, click Change.
    6.Change the Initial size value and the Maximum size value to a higher value, click Set, and then click OK.
    7.Click OK to close the Performance Options dialog box, and then click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.

I hope this will resolve your computer slowness issue.

Regards, h9ck3r.
    • Proposed as answer by h9ck3r Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by joujoukinder Friday, October 28, 2011 9:28 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:59 AM

All replies

• since windows XP 32 bit version supports only 4GB of RAM, you can increase the virtual memory so that applications run faster and they can use the hard disk as RAM (place to store the pagefile.sys). here is how you can increase the virtual memory:

1.Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    2.In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    3.In the Performance pane, click Settings.
    4.In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    5.In the Virtual memory pane, click Change.
    6.Change the Initial size value and the Maximum size value to a higher value, click Set, and then click OK.
    7.Click OK to close the Performance Options dialog box, and then click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.

I hope this will resolve your computer slowness issue.

Regards, h9ck3r.
    • Proposed as answer by h9ck3r Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by joujoukinder Friday, October 28, 2011 9:28 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:59 AM
  • Hi  h9ck3r

Thank you for your feedback. I saw that I had 3 drives with no swap defined. Thanks to you, I have defined a swap file foreach drive. Until now, the system seems to run faster !

Actually, I made this change much time ago, because I have 4 drives. To increase performances on my system drive, I defined only a swap on the fourth drive. I thougt that the system drive would have used the fourth drive for its own swap. I guess I was wrong...

Best regards.

Matteo, .NET Developer and System Engineer
    Friday, October 28, 2011 9:28 AM