none
Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file for pass (oobesystem) since MDT 2013 + Win 10 Toolkit upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I hope someone can help as I am at the end of my tether with this.

Since upgrading the MDT 2013 with Update 1 and installing the Windows 10 Toolkit, I am unable to complete a install of Windows 7. It always stop at the same point (Setup is checking video performance) and then displays the message:

"Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file (C:\Windows\Panther\unattend.xlm) for pass (oobesystem). The settings specified in the answer file could not be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component (Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup).

I have checked the setupact.log and it points to an issue with the resolutions (which was the standard 1020x784) with a refresh rate of 60. I have changed the vertical and horizontal rates to 1 (I read windows will auto adjust if these values are used) but the same issue remains. I have tried to check my setupact.log after another reboot to see if this is still the issue but it now stating "Access is denied" when trying to access the log file with a command prompt.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thursday, September 17, 2015 8:58 AM

Answers

• Now resolved! Found this fix in a blog from Microsoft - apparently this shouldn't need to be done with the latest build but for anyone who has this issue:

Deployment fails due to unattend.xml errors during oobeSystem

If you have edited unattend.xml and then start a deployment with the wizard page for administrator password enabled, or specified AdminPassword in CustomSettings.ini, the deployment will fail during Windows OOBE:

Windows could not parse or process Unattend answer file [C:\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml\ for pass [oobeSystem]. The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows=Shell-Setup].

Workaround: edit %DeployoRoot%\Scripts\ZTIConfigure.wsf lines 343 and 344 to append unattend: before PlainText. For example, on line 344 change:

oCurrent.parentNode.selectSingleNode("PlainText").text = "true"
    to
    oCurrent.parentNode.selectSingleNode("unattend:PlainText").text = "true"

Do the same on line 343.

• Marked as answer by P3akyBlinder Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:48 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:48 PM

All replies

• Now resolved! Found this fix in a blog from Microsoft - apparently this shouldn't need to be done with the latest build but for anyone who has this issue:

Deployment fails due to unattend.xml errors during oobeSystem

If you have edited unattend.xml and then start a deployment with the wizard page for administrator password enabled, or specified AdminPassword in CustomSettings.ini, the deployment will fail during Windows OOBE:

Windows could not parse or process Unattend answer file [C:\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml\ for pass [oobeSystem]. The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows=Shell-Setup].

Workaround: edit %DeployoRoot%\Scripts\ZTIConfigure.wsf lines 343 and 344 to append unattend: before PlainText. For example, on line 344 change:

oCurrent.parentNode.selectSingleNode("PlainText").text = "true"
    to
    oCurrent.parentNode.selectSingleNode("unattend:PlainText").text = "true"

Do the same on line 343.

• Marked as answer by P3akyBlinder Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:48 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:48 PM
  • It would be much better to upgrade to the re-released version.  See http://blogs.technet.com/b/msdeployment/archive/2015/09/15/mdt-2013-update-1-re-released-build-8298.aspx.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    Director of Product Marketing, Windows Deployment, Management, and Store
    http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 17, 2015 3:39 PM
  • This was My major Snag and now I am booted past the "Checking your Video settings"  So Kudos to you for solving my MDT problem.  Although I thought I had the most updated ADK as I just built this server apparently NOT.

I am up and running and Thanks to you Sir.

Friday, March 11, 2016 9:07 PM