none
Launch a applicaion using Orchestrator

Question

• I have a requirement to create a user session and launch an application on a remote computer. The application should be available when user connect to the session using RDP. 

Only possible option I found is to use a scheduled task to launch an application by selecting option "Run only when user is logged on.". But I am not sure how to create user session using script or if any integration packs availabe to manage the RDP sessions.

I would appreciate any pointers to accomplish this.

-Edatha-

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Logically, you are asking to launch an application on behalf of user then Go with "Run only when user is logged on" .

If you are trying to do it with orchestrator, either you can get this application started with system account or service account, as long as the user is feeding the user ID and password you should not be having a problem. 

Or else it will be a break of security and the application will be running with one account only. :(

For ex "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" you can run this command using a cmd from orchestrator but you will end up opening the IE with same users..

And you will have the challenge who logged on to the PC.(Can be multiple users also)

This is my personal opinion, but others may have a diff logic.

Regards

Priyabrata

Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:26 AM
  • Thanks for your response. I am trying to create a user session with a service account credentials and launch application so anyone login with same credentials can see the application. Launching program is not a problem if user is already logged in. but If user session is not there then I am not able to initiate the user session from orchestrator.<o:p></o:p>

-Edatha-

Thursday, March 16, 2017 6:28 PM
  • Friday, March 17, 2017 9:54 PM
    Answerer
  • I've had success using the SysInternals pack from Microsoft when trying to run processes on a remote machine. Specifically the PSExec utility might be very useful to you.

For example: Command from cmd prompt

PsExec \\computername -u Domain\Username -p password -x "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe" -d

To accomplish this in Orchestrator you could:

• Use the Run Program Object
    • Computer: Localhost
    • Program to execute: c:\sysinternals\psexec.exe
    • Argument: \\computername -u Domain\Username -p P@$$w0rd! -x "notepad.exe" -d

2 hours 23 minutes ago