none
Rebuilding Sharepoint Farm RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning to rebuild our current Sharepoint Farm.

We're proposing two farms :

a separate farm for Project Server (and associated Bamboo Solutions webparts) and

a separate farm for our Sharepoint environment (will be new intranet environment) with timer/synch jobs to keep project data updated to Sharepoint lists.

Spreading out processing power, SW costs and additional maintenance are our biggest concerns.

Looking for advice and best practices.

Pleaese help.

Thank you in advance

Monday, October 11, 2010 4:40 PM

Answers

• Hello Anonymous7472

I think it's a good idea, but it really depends on many factors.  I am seeing more organizations splitting the farms because project server doesn't need to come down for sharepoint upgrades and new deployments.  I think what has happen, is as SHarePoint developers start streching thei capabilites of adding more features, they (developers and engineers) sometime hose there sharepoint farms, thus effecting the project server.  This become more critical as organizations start using the time tracking and contract hour management.

I think my driving metrics would be the number of users on the SharePoint farm and the Project Server farm, how much customization is being done, how wide the downtime window is and how much addtional cost it will be.

Splitting the farms means more maintenance management, more hardware, software license, etc, so there is a tradeoff between managing one SharePoint farm versus two.

Let's know how it goes.

Cheers!

MIchael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:29 AM

All replies

• Not sure why you need two farms and what you exact questions are.
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, October 11, 2010 8:16 PM
  • Hello Anonymous7472

I think it's a good idea, but it really depends on many factors.  I am seeing more organizations splitting the farms because project server doesn't need to come down for sharepoint upgrades and new deployments.  I think what has happen, is as SHarePoint developers start streching thei capabilites of adding more features, they (developers and engineers) sometime hose there sharepoint farms, thus effecting the project server.  This become more critical as organizations start using the time tracking and contract hour management.

I think my driving metrics would be the number of users on the SharePoint farm and the Project Server farm, how much customization is being done, how wide the downtime window is and how much addtional cost it will be.

Splitting the farms means more maintenance management, more hardware, software license, etc, so there is a tradeoff between managing one SharePoint farm versus two.

Let's know how it goes.

Cheers!

MIchael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:29 AM