none
4GB+ WIM Not Being Split When Creating Media Deployment Point in MDT 2013 Update 2 RRS feed

• Question

• The media deployment point WIM splitting functionality does not seem to be working in MDT 2013 Update 2. Although I have been unable to find official documentation or guidance on the functionality, I have gathered from various posts here and elsewhere that these are the requirements:

1. SkipWIMSplit should be set to "False" in Settings.xml
    2. The operating system (WIM) and corresponding deployment task sequence should be included in the selection profile used for the media deployment point
    3. The operating system (WIM) should be 4GB+ in size

All of these requirements have been met in my environment but when I update media, the 10GB WIM is not recognized as 4GB+ and is not split. I have prepared a "vanilla" environment (Server 2012 R2, WAIK 1511, MDT 2013 Update 2, zero customizations or changes to defaults) to work on this issue but still no success.

Anyone out there have this working? If so, what have you implemented in addition to the three items above.

Finally, where is the documentation for this?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance. 

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 3:07 PM

Answers

• Thanks to all for your responses to this thread. Since posting I have come to learn that there are still issues with WIM splitting in MDT 2013 Update 2 and the best workaround is to add ".WIM" to the image (Operating System) name in MDT Deployment Workbench. If the image is named "My Custom Image" in MDT, change it to "My Custom Image.WIM" and WIM splitting will then work as expected. Not perfect but way better than any other alternative that I was considering.
    Friday, March 11, 2016 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

The first thing I would do is check you are editing the correct settings.xml file. Change as you say the <SkipWim> seting to false, but it is only necessary to change it in the Deployment Share control folder, not the control settings file in your media share. Basically the media share uses this file to determine what to do with the image files, either split or not to split.

As per documentation, very little about the Skip wim feature. I have had issues when I try and split more than one os image that is > 4gb. Pretty much gave up and went down an alternative route. The Split Wim feature is fine as long as your content is also less than 32 GB, however we do not have the the infratructure to change to PXE so it has been a struggle to get the option to boot to UEFI particularly when our media is around 45 GB's.

We would prefer not to have to create different boot media just so as we stay below the 32 gb threshold, usual overhead of maintenance time, people not updating there usb sticks etc and lastly just confusing people that struggle with one stick.

You can look at this link and also search out the usual Deployment guru blogs etc.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/msdeployment/

Ewen.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 8:53 PM
  • Hi!

It's good to know I'm not the only one.
    Same scenario, same result. It seems "WIMSplit" is not working yet.

I'll be aware of Microsoft information to solve this isssue.

Cheers!

Friday, March 11, 2016 12:11 AM
  • Thanks to all for your responses to this thread. Since posting I have come to learn that there are still issues with WIM splitting in MDT 2013 Update 2 and the best workaround is to add ".WIM" to the image (Operating System) name in MDT Deployment Workbench. If the image is named "My Custom Image" in MDT, change it to "My Custom Image.WIM" and WIM splitting will then work as expected. Not perfect but way better than any other alternative that I was considering.
    Friday, March 11, 2016 3:21 PM
  • Thank for this adding WIM to the name seems to work..
    Friday, May 26, 2017 7:23 PM
  • HI, just to be clear, ".wim" is added to the file or the name of the image

Monday, February 4, 2019 6:03 AM
  • To the Name in MDT

The File is already a .wim and will change to swm after the split  (Only in the saved media directory)

• Edited by PeteBC Saturday, September 7, 2019 1:27 PM
    Saturday, September 7, 2019 1:26 PM