CAn't ping Win 7 machine during logon RRS feed

• Question

• I'm testing a slow logon issue after a roll out.  We average about about 5 minute logons, with profile/redirected folders of around 400Mb on a 100Mb network.

While testing, I noticed that if I ping my machine from another during boot, it pings on loading, but as the Logon prompt appears, the ping replies stop.  If you wait until they start pinging again(between 2-5 minutes),  you can log on in 40 seconds.  If you try and log on straight away, it will take 40 seconds from the moment you start receiving ping replies again(so 5 minute logons).

I've tried replacing the network card drivers,  shifted the machine out of it's OU to stop receiving Computer Config GPOs, all with no luck. I'm running through clean booting at the moment,   I'm guessing it is something to do a service stopping network activity, safe booting minimal drops no pings.

Anyone seen anything like this before?  I guess I'll be running through services till I find the answer.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:20 PM

Answers

• I did, and it didn't seem to make any difference.  We have narrowed it down though, the painful thing was that it was multiple problems.

Firstly, Despite the fact that we had done a boot with no extra services, we found that a 3rd party Host Intrusion Prevention client was running on the machine - even though it was showing as disabled.  This had been logging to a debug log file for the entire time the machine was active.   Once this file got over a certain size(around 40 Meg), the machine would get slower and slower.   It slowed everything from logon to opening any program. It even slowed down pings, so if we typed in ping machinename   or ping 192.168.0.1 for example, there would be a delay of around 5 seconds before it even resolved the name.

As a result of this problem alone,  the problem of no ping reponse on boot up dropped from 3-4 minutes on some machines, down to 25 sesconds.

A further problem still exists,  that 25 seconds of downtime during bootup. 

Disabling IPv6 took off another 6 seconds,  delaying start up of some services took off another 5 seconds. 

So all in all, the machines are running better.  We still have a 15-20 second drop off on 90% of machines here, but it's good enough for the moment, as we have more pressing problems.  We're still clearing up the mess that is the .TMP file creation bug. 

Despite patching, these files are still appearing on our older Servers. 2,500 files and counting...

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:48 AM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:15 AM

All replies

• During boot I've found that if I start with Selective startup in msconfig, with nothing enabled, I still get the issue.

If I Safe boot minimal it's fine,  If I safe boot with networking, it fails again.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:34 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Besides checking services, I suggest you disable the following policy to check result:

Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates \System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Does your firewall allow ping (icmp echo request)?

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Yup It does, as the pings return without intervention after 2-4 mins.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

You can also check the Event Log to see if there are Boot Performance events:

Applications and Services Logs --> Microsoft --> Windows --> Diagnostics-Performance --> Operational

Meanwhile, I would like to suggest you try the following steps for test:

1.    Delete the PreFetch folder that could have become stale or corrupt.

Click on Start, type C:\windows\prefetch in the search bar, delete the entries in this folder.

2.    Make sure that the hardware drivers are up to date.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Hi,

I am just writing to check the status of this thread. Was the information that provided in previous reply helpful to you? Do you have any further questions or concerns? Please feel free to let us know.

Alex Zhao

Monday, May 30, 2011 1:23 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for your post.   I've checked through the Diagnostic Performance, and it does show items that are slowing bootup straight after it reports the Windows has started up:

Windows has started up:
         Boot Duration  : 351107ms
         IsDegradation  : false
         Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2011‎-‎05‎-‎24T12:43:06.593600100Z

However, it only reports once item usually after boot up, and this reports a much smaller time, for instance:

This application took longer than usual to start up, resulting in a performance degradation in the system startup process:
         File Name  : SearchIndexer.exe
         Friendly Name  : Microsoft Windows Search Indexer
         Version  : 7.00.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
         Total Time  : 14695ms
         Degradation Time : 9695ms
         Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2011‎-‎05‎-‎24T12:43:06.593600100Z

Every time it's a differnt application causing a delay, but not matching the delay time,  I've had GPO processing,  Antivirus and other programs reporting that they have slowed logon,  but only 1 item seems to get reported every time.

Is there a way of turning up logging in Diagnostic Performance?

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:04 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Have you tried the methods above to check how it works?

For a test, please disable the Windows Search Service, follow these steps:

1.    Click Start and type services in the Start / Search box. In the Programs list, click Services.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

2.    Scroll down and locate the service that is labeled Windows Search.

3.    Right-click this service and then click Properties.

4.    Set the Startup Type to Disabled.

5.    Click Stop to stop the service, and then click OK.

6.    Restart the computer.

If this issue persists, I suggest you try to use Windows Performance Analysis Tool to troubleshoot the boot issue:

Windows Performance Analysis Tools

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:13 AM
  • Hi, yep I deleted the prefetch files and it made no difference.  I'm installing WPA now, hopefully this will give me some clues as to whats going on,  it looks like I've got a fair bit of reading to do to understand how to use it, but it should prove very useful for many faults we have!
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

How’s everything going? 

If you have any updates or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Alex Zhao

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:43 AM
  • Hi,

I am just writing to see whether there is anything further I can do for you. If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance. :-)

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:32 AM
  • I've run a xbootmgr on my machine, which I managed to get down to 15 seconds of no pings (though to be honest, I'm not sure how, as I made the rookie mistake of trying 5 things at once, and one of them reduced the dead time to 15 secs) so I'm arranging to test this on another few machines.

Unfortunately, this is just one of many little issues we have a thte moment, as well as a stream of other calls,  so I'm struggling to get back to test this again!   My major concern at the moment is the creation of .TMP files on a non-DFS share, that is still ongoing despite the patch KB 2434932 being on the machines. It's taken presidence as it's a potential loss of userdata should they lose their machines..

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:51 AM
  • Hi Neil

1. Run the command below on one client to disable NIC offloading.

netsh int tcp set global chimney=Disabled

netsh int tcp set global rss=disabled

2. Modify the following to disable netDMA on the same client.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableTCPA

Note: If this registry entry does not exist, right-click Parameters, point to New, click DWORD Value, type EnableTCPA, and then press ENTER.

Value: 0

Friday, June 10, 2011 3:28 AM
  • hi Neil,

how thing going on your side?

Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:03 PM
  • Hiya,

I got the chance to look at another machine yesterday with this problem,  5mins 30 every time before the machine was pingable.

I ran through a few tests, disabled Windows Search, and a few other services, and still had the same 5 mins 30 secs with no network.

I disabled IPv6  and knocked 10 seconds of that time.   I didn't get a chance to stop the:

netsh int tcp set global chimney=Disabled

netsh int tcp set global rss=disabled

though I did disable

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableTCPA

and had no joy there either.   The Operational logs under Diag-Performance give no real indication as to whats going on, as the log on time event doesn't seem to match the actual log on time.  Everytime it lists a different service as being slow to start after reporting the logon time.

Does no-one else have this issue of no ping during logon? I just want to be sure that it's not something that is by design? 

We're running Win 7 Ent 32 bit, on various machines.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Hi Neil,

I have a similar problem. OS is Win 7 Ent 32-bit. I run a continuous ping (ping -t -w 1 %computername%) to troubleshoot failure to connect to the logged on user's home folder. However; our problem is intermittent, only happens when logging on wireless and seems to be isolated to certain hardware. 

-- Brett
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:16 PM
  • hello Neil,

did you have chice to disable the rss and chimney?

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:06 AM
  • I did, and it didn't seem to make any difference.  We have narrowed it down though, the painful thing was that it was multiple problems.

Firstly, Despite the fact that we had done a boot with no extra services, we found that a 3rd party Host Intrusion Prevention client was running on the machine - even though it was showing as disabled.  This had been logging to a debug log file for the entire time the machine was active.   Once this file got over a certain size(around 40 Meg), the machine would get slower and slower.   It slowed everything from logon to opening any program. It even slowed down pings, so if we typed in ping machinename   or ping 192.168.0.1 for example, there would be a delay of around 5 seconds before it even resolved the name.

As a result of this problem alone,  the problem of no ping reponse on boot up dropped from 3-4 minutes on some machines, down to 25 sesconds.

A further problem still exists,  that 25 seconds of downtime during bootup. 

Disabling IPv6 took off another 6 seconds,  delaying start up of some services took off another 5 seconds. 

So all in all, the machines are running better.  We still have a 15-20 second drop off on 90% of machines here, but it's good enough for the moment, as we have more pressing problems.  We're still clearing up the mess that is the .TMP file creation bug. 

Despite patching, these files are still appearing on our older Servers. 2,500 files and counting...

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:48 AM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:15 AM