none
Default Theme

Question

• Hello,

I would like to know what I am doing wrong. I set a default theme (not a forced theme) via group policy, and the desktop background (wallpaper) does not carry over, and just shows a blue screen. How do I save the proper files so that the new users get the theme I set (complete with the desktop wallpaper). 

Thanks, Bryce

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

which exact settings did you configure and which format is the wallpaper(jpeg png etc)?

Which OS versions do you use, server and client?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber

MVP, MCP, MCTS

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

My Blog: http://blogs.msmvps.com/MWeber

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Twitter:  

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 6:33 AM
  • I am using Windows 7 Professional x86, and I do not use a server. I am simply using this to set a default company theme. The desktop background I want to use is a jpeg image (attached), size is 1920 x 1200. Thanks, Bryce
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:33 PM
  • Hi,

If you'd like to set the theme for the new user, you can use a GP-setting at User -> Administrative templates -> Control Panel -> Personalization -> Load a specific theme. But this just works for the new user, not existing user.

Besides, you can customize the default local user profile to set the theme for user, more detail you can refer:

Configuring Default User Settings – Full Update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, May 17, 2015 3:03 AM
  • Yes, but when I set the default theme, it just shows a blue screen instead of my desired desktop wallpaper. Where should I put the file, and what am I doing wrong? I am also doing this configuration in audit mode. Is that also the issue?
    Thursday, May 28, 2015 3:47 AM
  • Hi,

You can check the below link for detail steps about how to configure the default theme:

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2011/03/best-practice-using-group-policy-to-configure-desktop-wallpaper-background/

The document above provide 2 ways to configure the backgroud. Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:39 AM