IE tab displaying URL instead of document title RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to this forum, hopefully I've chosen the right place to ask this question about SharePoint Online.

An organization I'm working for uses a lot of PDF documents in their document libraries. Now some people started noticing  the title of PDF documents is not shown in the Internet Explorer tabs. Instead, the tab shows an URL ([organization].sharepoint.com). This is quite an annoyance for them, since some people might be working with 6 or 7 PDF documents at the same time.

After some research I thought it might be because of the title property of the PDF being blank, so I created a PDF document which has all property fields filled in. I then discovered, after uploading, that IE still shows the URL and not the title or document name.

I would very much like the document name to be shown in the IE tab title. Interesting note: Word documents, Excel documents are displaying their name just fine.

I hope someone on here can point me in the right direction! Oh, FYI: the organization uses IE 11.

Thanks in advance!

Kinds regards,

Roy

Thursday, August 31, 2017 10:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Roy,

Based on my test, when I opened an Office document like word or excel file, SharePoint Online was using Office Online to open it, the URL was like https://xxx/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc=xxxxxx, and the IE tab showed the file name.

However, when I opened a PDF file, it didn't call Office online to open PDF, the url was like https://xxx/filename.pdf, checked the IE tab, it showed [organization].sharepoint.com like you said. 

I tested the above in the classic mode, if I changed to New experience mode, the IE Tab shows as [site]-[filename]-[view], like the below:

So, please try to use New experience.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Dean_Wang Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Roy Linde Thursday, September 7, 2017 9:09 AM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 8:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Roy,

Based on my test, when I opened an Office document like word or excel file, SharePoint Online was using Office Online to open it, the URL was like https://xxx/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc=xxxxxx, and the IE tab showed the file name.

However, when I opened a PDF file, it didn't call Office online to open PDF, the url was like https://xxx/filename.pdf, checked the IE tab, it showed [organization].sharepoint.com like you said. 

I tested the above in the classic mode, if I changed to New experience mode, the IE Tab shows as [site]-[filename]-[view], like the below:

So, please try to use New experience.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Dean_Wang Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Roy Linde Thursday, September 7, 2017 9:09 AM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 8:15 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

Thank you so much for testing this. I'll take a look at how to change to the new experience. Never done that before and since this organization is used to the classic view, I just rolled with that.

Anything I should definitely know about changing to the new experience? Are there any functionalities that change or disappear that might be used on a daily basis?

Thanks!

Roy

Thursday, September 7, 2017 7:00 AM
  • Meanwhile, I have already found some obstacles in switching to the modern view. For example, the organization uses quite a few custom actions in the ribbon, which are a critical part of daily work. We need to make absolutely sure that these actions will still work when we switch to modern UI.

For reference, this is a very helpful site:

Thursday, September 7, 2017 10:19 AM
  • Hi Roy I am having the same problem. My web app is an intranet on IE 11 and need to show the title of the pdf document on the tab. Have you found solution to your problem?? Thanks Bob
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:07 PM