Unable to connect to .xls located in SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PowerQuery that has successfully updated on a daily basis for months now.  The PowerQuery source is a .xls file stored on a SharePoint server.  It seems after the influx of security updates that became available on 04/10/18 (and updated on my system today), the connection is no longer acceptable.  When I attempt to update the query, or even create a new query with a source of .xls, I get the following error:

Unable to connect

We encountered an error while trying to connect.

Details: "[myfilepath\myfilename.xls]" is not a valid path.  Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.

The filepath and filename have not changed.  I can use a .xls file as a PowerQuery source if it is located on OneDrive or if it is saved locally, but not if it is located on SharePoint.  I don't experience this issue for PowerQueries with a SharePoint .xlsx file--there are no problems there.  I decided ultimately to just begin saving the .xls source file as .xlsx.  I'm posting this inquiry, though, because it is odd behavior and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it, especially since the April 2018 updates.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm having trouble reproducing the issue. Can you share how you're connecting to the file? If you could open your advanced editor (view -> advanced editor) and send the contents that would be ideal. If you can't or don't want to send that, just describing how you import the source would be helpful.

Also, if you could send your version of PowerBI (File -> Options and Settings -> Options -> Diagnostics -> Version) that would help as well.

Thanks,

Zach

Thursday, April 26, 2018 11:01 PM