Sequenced App calling locally installed Office 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings:

I have a situation that I believe is going to become a big problem for me.  We are currently moving to Office 2010 from office 2003.  Due to the complexity and integration with all kinds of applications, Office 2010 is going to be installed locally.

We have some applications that are published in App-V.  These applications can open outlook and send mail.  The problem is that they pull outlook into "their bubble" and Outlook thinks it is not registered correctly, even though it is (KMS key, verified through VAMT that is is registered correctly).  The programs return very generic errors, but if you open a command prompt and then run outlook, it immediately prompts you for a registration key.

How do others overcome this?  I believe this should be a pretty common problem, unless everyone is actually running Office in a sequence.  My thought is that I may need to install the "proxies" on the machines even though I'm not using Office in a sequence.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Monday, July 9, 2012 6:15 PM

Answers

• When sequencing these applications that interact with Office, have you installed Office and created an Outlook profile before sequencing the application?

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 9, 2012 8:11 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Have you tried this with other Add-ins? I currently use a local version of Office. I tend to not virtualize add-ins unless there's a specific use case when I think it will be a benefit to me.

I have several Word and Excel Add-ins currently virtualized and leveraging a local Office 2010 and they run without issue. Even when called by a virtual application office should see the local machine.

You could try using LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED set to TRUE to force the application to first look at the local machine and see if that fixes the issue but using office that way should not be an issue.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Monday, July 9, 2012 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

Have you tried this with other Add-ins? I currently use a local version of Office. I tend to not virtualize add-ins unless there's a specific use case when I think it will be a benefit to me.

I have several Word and Excel Add-ins currently virtualized and leveraging a local Office 2010 and they run without issue. Even when called by a virtual application office should see the local machine.

You could try using LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED set to TRUE to force the application to first look at the local machine and see if that fixes the issue but using office that way should not be an issue.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Monday, July 9, 2012 6:49 PM
  • When sequencing these applications that interact with Office, have you installed Office and created an Outlook profile before sequencing the application?

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 9, 2012 8:11 PM