none
Local Variables in Enterprise Global Template RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the process of implementing Project Server 2010. 

After years of using Project Professional we had a template that was filled with custom variables.  Many of them were no longer used or not well thought out.  We reviewed them and determined which fields where needed and created them as enterprise variables. 

At some point in the process (I am not sure how or when) all the local custom variables were moved to the enterprise template.  None of these are needed and will cause confusion.  But I can not figure out how to delete them.

I can check out the enterprise global template, open the organizer and delete them (screen shot below).  I save and check-in the template but the when I open the template, they are back.

I have also tried to use the custom variable window while I have the enterprise global template checked out. When I click the the custom fields button on the project ribbon I get the following messages:

The first one makes sense, but I have no idea what the second one means.   It sounds bad and the custom field window never opens.

Can anyone help????

Thanks,

Craig

Thanks, Craig

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 1:53 PM

All replies

• Is it possible that they are still in your Global.mpt file on your local machine? your organizer above shows that you are looking at 'Global (+non-cached enterprise). This is a combination of hte enterprise global and your local global. in the drop down at the bottom of the organizer pick "Checked Out Enterprise Global" and see if these local fields are still there. That is the true picture of what is actualy in the enterprise global.

You can also open pro without connecting to your project server. Then look at the organizer and see if they are there and delete them if they are. You may have to have everyone do this since your long use of those fields might mean that they are in everyones local Global.mpt file.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Brian:

That is a good question, but I am not sure I can answer it.  Notice in my screen shot that the dropdowns at the bottom of the organizer are blank.  If I expand them, they are empty.  So I can not really say for sure where they are. 

If I create a new project and open the organizer, and go to the fields tab, the only option in the drop-down is the project - no global.mpts

BUT, other users are experiencing the same problem which leads me to beleive that the problem is with the enterprise global, not the local global.mpt.

Thanks, Craig

• Edited by CraigS99 Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:22 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:48 PM
  • Hi Craig,

In addition to Brian's recommendation, try creating another Project Professional profile.

Also navigate to the location of global.mpt folder and rename existing file.

Launch Project Professional using new profile, open organizer tab and validate the result.

Please provide CU level of Project Server and Project Professional.

Hrishi Deshpande – DeltaBahn Senior Consultant
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 4:12 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions.

I am not sure what you mean by a 'Project Professional Profile', but based on your suggestion this is what I tried:

1.  Renamed my local global.mpt file

2.  Opened Project Pro. without connecting to the server.  A new global.mpt file was created

3.  Opened the organizer and saw that there were no local variable in the global.mpt (see below) - Yeah!!

4.  Closed Project Pro.

5.  Opened Project Pro connected to the server

6. Opened the organizer and all the old variables are back (see below) - BOO!!!

Also note that 'Project1' is the only option in the dropdown.  All other tabs (views, tables, etc) have 'Project1' and 'Global ( + non-cached Enterprise)

Any ideas???

Thanks, Craig

• Edited by CraigS99 Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:22 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Project Professional user profile is similar to Outlook profile, where one can use Outlook to connect different mail server

1. To create new profile, open project pro (without connecting to server instance)
    2. Navigate to file menu and select info
    3. Click on Project Server account , Make sure to select starting option as "Choose an account"
    4. select add and create another profile for same PWA URL (different name)
    5. Close project pro and re-open, select new user profile and connect to the server

Can you reproduce this issue from different system? Do you have administrative backup of E-global?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:50 PM
  • I created the new project and repeated the step in my previous message (using the new profile on step 5) and got the same result. 

We are having the exact same problem on other workstations as well.

I am not sure if we have an adminitrative backup of e-global.  I am looking into it. 

Any suggestions in the meantime?

Thanks, Craig

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:00 PM
  • If you have admin rights on PWA , you can check whether administrative backup is scheduled or not.

With new profile try opening Enterprise global, check views tab, do you see Global,Project1 and Checked out Enterprise Global

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:24 PM
  • It appears that the enterprise has never been backed up.

I connected to the server and opened the organizer again.  The only option in dropdown on the Fields tab is 'Project1'.  Still no Global or Checked out Enterprise Global.

thanks for the suggestions.  Any more?

Thanks, Craig

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:36 PM
  • Is it possible to take the backup of 4 project databases and provision another PWA for further troubleshooting.

I am suspecting that your e-global is corrupt, to recover the e-global you may use old databases and using playbook we can export and import e-global.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Hrishi:

Thanks.  Obviously that is not what I wanted to hear, but it is what it is.  I will forward this to our It department and get them working on it.  Is there any way to delete the e-global and have the system generate a new blank one?  We don't have much in it at this point.  I would probably be easier to recreate a couple views than build a new PWA.

Thanks again for your help on this.

Thanks, Craig

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:04 PM
  • Yes, we have a built in SQL query to re-build E-global

Do you have custom calendar, since this query will rebuild enterprise calendar as well

Location of the query is on Project Application Server

File Name : Eglobal.sql

Location : C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Sql\Project Server\CORE\1033

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Hrishi:

Thanks.  We plan on running a backup tonight and run the script.  Does the server need to be shutdown to run it?

Thanks, Craig

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:47 PM
  •  

You don’t need server to be shut down, but make sure that all Project Professional clients are disconnected from the server.

Since you don’t have administrative backup of existing E-global, you may need to take one (remember only recent copy of e-global will be retain as administrative backup)

Take Administrative backup of "Enterprise Resource Pool and Calendars" and "Enterprise Global"  From PWA>>Server Settings>>Administrative Backup

If you would like to retain any E-global view you may able to do so my copying view from E-global to local MPP file, using Organizer tab.

Eglobal.SQL script needs to be executed only on Publish database. This script will delete entire E-global and recreate brand new E-global including enterprise calendar, views etc.

In case you are not satisfied with the result you can roll back by performing administrative restore of “Enterprise Resource Pool and Calendars” first and then Enterprise Global

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:05 PM
  • That seemed like a logical thing to try, but it did not work.  We ran the script but the variable are still there.  All our views and tables were missing from our e-global, so I know the script worked.

This is what we tried next:

1.  We create a brand new web app

2.  Opened Project Pro connected to the new web app - The unwanted local variables were in the Project1

3.  Deleted my local global.mpt file

4.  Opened Project Pro connected to the new web app - There were NO local variable in Project1

5.  Opened Project Pro connected to our production web app - The unwanted local variables were in the Project1

6.  Opened Project Pro connected to the new web app - The unwanted local variables were in the Project1

7.  Deleted my local global.mpt file

8.  Opened Project Pro connected to the new web app - There were NO local variable in Project1

Based on that sequence, it appears that everytime we connect to our production web app those local variables are being copied to the local Global.mpt file.   But where are they (they are obviously not in the e-global) and how do we delete them?

Thanks, Craig

• Edited by CraigS99 Friday, May 11, 2012 1:49 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Yes, I agree.

When Project Professional is connected to the server, yes application is launched in combination of global.mpt and E-global, which is expected behaviour.

All above fields are local fields, you can only create Enterprise custom field using PWA Setting>>Enterprise Custom Fields and Lookup Tables

Do you see all these fields here?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Friday, May 11, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Hi.   I knew that when you open project professional while connected to the server that you would get a combination of the local global.mpt and the e-global.  However, what I didn't know and don't understand is:

1.  Why there are local variables in the e-global

2.  Why the global.mpt is being changed (as opposed to logically combining the 2 globals)

In any case, I am not sure I understand your questions, but let me try to answer it

Yes, all these unwanted variables are local variables.  We have already created enterprise variables to replace them and they appear in the projects and work as expected.  But we need to removed the local variables for two reasons:

1.  They are causing problems with existing text lookup fields that make it very difficult to move existing projects into Project server

2.  The local variables are going to cause confusion for our users because there are two copies of each variable - the enterprise variable which they should use and the old local variable which they should not use but we cannot delete.

I hope that answers your quesion.

Thanks again for all your time and help on this

Thanks, Craig

• Edited by CraigS99 Friday, May 11, 2012 6:21 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Craig

I know this is a while ago, but did you manage to find any satisfactory resolution? I seem to be having the same problems that you outlined.

Cheers, Mike

Sunday, April 7, 2013 11:55 AM
  • For whatever it is worth, we are now experiencing this EXACT same problem with our Project Server 2010 DEV and PROD instances.  I had local custom fields in my Global.mpt file, and when I opened the Enterprise Global for editing on each of these instances, it appears the system somehow copied the local custom fields into the Enterprise Global, which it should NEVER do.  I am reopening this issue to see if anyone has an idea on how to resolve this irritating problem.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, May 2, 2013 12:32 AM
  • This sounds to me like it's the same issue as explained here:

http://pwmather.wordpress.com/2012/02/22/projectserver-2010-msproject-enterprise-global-custom-fields-out-of-synch-ps2010-ps2007/

I've had to rebuild my enterprise global because of this before, mostly following the directions in the link above but with a few additional caveats blogged about here:

http://projectserverpants.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/rebuilding-the-enterprise-global-template-under-protest/

Now I'm having a similar problem, but it's related to views instead of fields.  Not being keen on rebuilding the template again, partly because it didn't stay happy very long anyway, I'm planning to use some macros to rename and hide the stubborn views when people open projects.  I'm not sure how much use this would be for a truck-load of fields, but I thought I'd put it out there as food for thought.  I'm also planning to blog about the macros once I get them working right.  If anyone wants more info, feel free to ping me.

Monday, June 10, 2013 9:29 PM
  • ElliJ --

Thanks for sharing.  I read both blog posts you reference and found both of them to be very helpful.  We somehow managed to resolve our problems by restoring the backed up Enterprise Global file.  In theory, since we back up the Enterprise Global every night, it should have been corrupted as well.  However, restoring the backed up Enterprise Global resolved the problems, though I do not understand how this fixed the problem.  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 10:00 AM