none
Internet Explorer 6 is needed at least pwa --> issues with IE6 IE7 IE8 RRS feed

• Question

• hi all.

I have problem with 2 users in PWA , this message say "At least Internet Explorer version 6 is needed to use Project WebAccess." but they are using IE7 , so, this is not the problem, y found in internet some article, but nothing but resolve this problem, any ideas????

i did review of:

• Regedit avant browser --> no, because the user dont have this key in regedit
    • delete temporal files --> not work
    • change to IE 6- IE7 - IE8 nothing nothing nothing
    • i use Firefox 3 with addon IE Tab 2 for used IE7 Engine emulator

Please somebody help me!!

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, March 24, 2011 2:03 PM PWA is part of Project Server (From:SharePoint - Collaboration (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't believe the ActiveX installation is causing you the issue.  You should be able to navigate to a PS2007 /PWA homepage without the PS specific ActiveX controls needing to be loaded. When you hit a page that requires them, PS will ask you to download.

You mentioned that the two users can login from another machine and it works perfectly, this would isolate it to those two problem machines and puts the cause firmly in the client environment and not the server.

From the error you are seeing it seems that the browser that is hitting PWA is identifying itself as a different browser to one of the supported ones via the user agent strings on those particular machines.  I would either look at:

• Installing something like Fiddler on a good client machine and the bad one and comparing the user strings being passed and look for discrepancies. My money is on the user agent string on the bad machine is passing through something totally different and hence why PWA is throwing up the error message
    • Uninstalling all browsers and browser based customisations from the machine and reinstalling IE a fresh
    • Worst case, get the machine to be reimaged

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, March 25, 2011 10:15 PM
  • Dear MVP

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS !! i did the next steps:

Uninstall all browsers of PC , include IE 6 7 8

Clean all Temporal Files, cookies,all all all  with CCleaner

Correction of all Key Of Regedit with CCleaner

Restart PC

Install IE

Logon to PWA

Done ! with Success!!

Thank you so much

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:48 AM

All replies

• please somebody help me, i need resolve this problem right now.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

Have you isolated this issue down to individual machines? Can the 2 users in question login from other machines and navigate to PWA without issue?

Can users that don't have this issue login from the problem machines and duplicate the issue?

Alex Burton
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:27 PM
  • yes , they can

Can the 2 users in question login from other machines and navigate to PWA without issue?  yes they can, and navigate to pwa without issues

Can users that don't have this issue login from the problem machines and duplicate the issue? yes they can, and duplicate the issue

i think so , maybe look, i was reading some article where did say : when installed the activex controls pjxxx11c.dll  and the default browser is not IE , (ej. firefox, chrome, etc) the key register in hkey local user --> sofware-->microsoft -->windows-->current version-->internet setting-->user agent --> avant browser | this key have incorrect installation about activex control pjxxx11c.dll and other .dll about this activex control. so i try unistall this activex control but i can't i don't know how to .

i know the problem is not the pwa site or IE , because the user with the issue can login from other computer , but i don't know what is the problem yet, i did questioning to the users in the lient organization and found some thing , they say me , the problem was too in project server 2003 (because i am in process of  migration project server 2003 - 2007)  so now, next the migration and finish the project persist the issue.

any idea?

Friday, March 25, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Hi,

I don't believe the ActiveX installation is causing you the issue.  You should be able to navigate to a PS2007 /PWA homepage without the PS specific ActiveX controls needing to be loaded. When you hit a page that requires them, PS will ask you to download.

You mentioned that the two users can login from another machine and it works perfectly, this would isolate it to those two problem machines and puts the cause firmly in the client environment and not the server.

From the error you are seeing it seems that the browser that is hitting PWA is identifying itself as a different browser to one of the supported ones via the user agent strings on those particular machines.  I would either look at:

• Installing something like Fiddler on a good client machine and the bad one and comparing the user strings being passed and look for discrepancies. My money is on the user agent string on the bad machine is passing through something totally different and hence why PWA is throwing up the error message
    • Uninstalling all browsers and browser based customisations from the machine and reinstalling IE a fresh
    • Worst case, get the machine to be reimaged

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    Friday, March 25, 2011 10:15 PM
  • Dear MVP

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS !! i did the next steps:

Uninstall all browsers of PC , include IE 6 7 8

Clean all Temporal Files, cookies,all all all  with CCleaner

Correction of all Key Of Regedit with CCleaner

Restart PC

Install IE

Logon to PWA

Done ! with Success!!

Thank you so much

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:22 PM