none
Developing a custom filter RRS feed

• Question

• Have a client with 10,000+ customers and need to be able to filter by a single customer number.  Besides the performance hit of using one of the out-of-the-box controls with that many rows (nodes, etc.), I believe there is a limit to the number of items that can be presented in these controls.  It was suggested I look at the Performance Point SDK.  I'm doing that using the CTP4 VPC, where I've loaded Visual Studio 2005.

So reviewing the CTP4 Documentation, there is a help file named PPSMSDK.chm on the CTP4 VPC, there is an example under 'Implementing custom extensions' named 'Filters'.  This example seems to be exactly the direction I need to go in, but there are a few issues.  Comparing this documentation to the SDK documentation on MSDN, this example is no longer available, at least not under the same name.  And, it seems that the example on the CTP is old/out dated? 

The example documents 3 components.  Where things seem to be out of date is in the 2nd component.  Below are some of the discrepencies/questions I found/have. 

What I'm looking for is some direction and clarification, any provided will be greatly appreciated.

1.  In the 2nd component, the documentation states that it will implement CachedParameterSelectionControl.  This doesn't exist that I've found in the CTP4 and Released PPSM dll(s), the closest thing is ParameterSelectionControl.
    Is this the correct substitute?

2.  The Render method provided in the example references a 'ScriptBuilder' object, but I've not found an object named as such in .Net nor the SDK Documentation.
    What namespace should I include to enable this?  What is an alternative?

3.  Is there a zip with the complete VS solution for this example? 

I'm not a .Net guru, so to see a complete example would really help me get out of discovery mode and into developing a solution.

Thanks,

Carter

Intellinet

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 6:20 PM

Answers

• An example of how to create a custom filter has been posted to the Microsoft PerformancePoint Team Blog. Please see "Creating a Custom Dashboard Filter for PerformancePoint Server 2007 ~ Code Sample" at http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2008/02/12/creating-a-custom-dashboard-filter-for-performancepoint-server-2007-code-sample.aspx

Good Luck!

Joe Hayes
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:51 PM

All replies

• I too am having difficulties with the apparent limits on the number of members in a filter.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:38 PM
  • Hi Carter,

Can you share PPSMSDK.chm or just example 'Implementing custom extensions' named 'Filters'. I'm currently ivnestigating possibility of custom filter implementation. Maybe I'll managet to help you with your issue when get acquainted with the example.

Could you please sent it to avasylev@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 10:15 AM
  •  

Hii guys,

I'm stuck in the same situation. Any ideas?

Monday, September 1, 2008 10:02 AM
  • An example of how to create a custom filter has been posted to the Microsoft PerformancePoint Team Blog. Please see "Creating a Custom Dashboard Filter for PerformancePoint Server 2007 ~ Code Sample" at http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2008/02/12/creating-a-custom-dashboard-filter-for-performancepoint-server-2007-code-sample.aspx

Good Luck!

Joe Hayes
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:51 PM
  • Please see this post on the Microsoft PerformancePoint Team Blog, "Changing the limit on the number of items returned in a filter" at http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2008/01/17/changing-the-limit-on-the-number-of-items-returned-in-a-filter.aspx

Good Luck!

Joe Hayes
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:58 PM