none
Client backup failing with error: change tracking information is corrupt RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

i Have got a Windows 8 Notebook getting this error: 

dpm is unable to continue protection for disconnectedClient on NotebookName because the change tracking information is corrupt.

i Have deleted the backup on the dpm server and tried to recreate it.

i Also re-installed the client on the notebook...

How do this backup working?

Thanks 

Sunday, November 4, 2012 7:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It sounds like you are attempting to protect a Windows 8 client with DPM 2010 which is not supported.  There is a problem in the DPM 2010 detection logic for Windows 8 clients.  Client protection does not require the DPM change tracking filter driver, but fails because it believes it needs it.  Although not supported, you can work around the issue by manually installing the Dpmfilter driver. On the client, located the dpmfilter.inf file and right-click and choose install.  Then open an administrative command prompt and run: fltmc load dpmfilter.  Once that is loaded protection should succeed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, November 4, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Hi,

Not sure what the scoop is but this should work.

Steps to be done on the machine being protected by DPM from an elevated command shell):
    - Stop the DPMRA:
    o Net stop dpmra
    - Unload the dpmfilter:
    o Fltmc unload dpmfilter
    - Set the Force Fixup Registry key
    o reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent\2.0" /v ForceFixup /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Danie Claassen Monday, December 10, 2012 11:26 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds like you are attempting to protect a Windows 8 client with DPM 2010 which is not supported.  There is a problem in the DPM 2010 detection logic for Windows 8 clients.  Client protection does not require the DPM change tracking filter driver, but fails because it believes it needs it.  Although not supported, you can work around the issue by manually installing the Dpmfilter driver. On the client, located the dpmfilter.inf file and right-click and choose install.  Then open an administrative command prompt and run: fltmc load dpmfilter.  Once that is loaded protection should succeed.

Sunday, November 4, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Hi, 

We now upgraded DPM to 2012 and still i get this error...

Win 8 Client(4.0.1920.0) and DPM 2012

Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:36 AM
  • We had DPM 2010 and i got this error on my Win 8 Client.

DPM is unable to continue protection for <data source name> on <server name> because the change tracking information is corrupt. (Thnik it was the same error)

Then we upgraded DPM to 2012 after i was told that win 8 is not supported and now i still get the same error...

The client is up to date.

i Just installed a CU on DPM wich should be the latest one but no luck...

What is the issue?

Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

Not sure what the scoop is but this should work.

Steps to be done on the machine being protected by DPM from an elevated command shell):
    - Stop the DPMRA:
    o Net stop dpmra
    - Unload the dpmfilter:
    o Fltmc unload dpmfilter
    - Set the Force Fixup Registry key
    o reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent\2.0" /v ForceFixup /t REG_DWORD /d 1

• Marked as answer by Danie Claassen Monday, December 10, 2012 11:26 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Hi Mike, 

unloading the dpmfilter fails...

Unload failed with error: 0x801f0013
    The system could not find the filter specified.

Adding the Reg key was successful and it actually looks like a backup just went threw....

Let me test a backup with a bit more data.

Will mark as answer as soon as i have one proper backup.

Thanks for your help!

Friday, December 7, 2012 7:05 AM
  • Ok, we are a step further...

The backups completes but under data protected on the client it say 0.00Mb and 17Files and 3 folders...

i Have added my whole  Documents folder so the files should be much bigger and the Mb's should be about 30Gb's

Friday, December 7, 2012 11:20 AM
  • Hi,

What does the calculate under the protected items tab show when it completes ?

Friday, December 7, 2012 3:15 PM
  • At first it was about 2Mb, just added a few files to test.

Now it is 70Gb.

Sunday, December 9, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Ok, looks like it just took a while to pick up the newly added items.

Backup now got data in it.

Thanks!

Monday, December 10, 2012 11:26 AM
  • works, great!
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 11:41 AM
  • It worked for me on Windows 10 x64 Pro! 

Thank you.

Friday, August 19, 2016 5:29 PM