none
PosReady 7 /Windows thin PC + Writefilter + KMS RRS feed

• Question

• We do have SA and we do have workiing KMS so there are nothing unclear about that part. 

The Question is about how you can get a Pos7 or ThinPC device to use KMS licensing while it has it's writefilter enabled.

I cant find any docs on this and my MS Contact didn't even know that POS7 or thin PC existed. 

Has anyone done it or do you know if there is any documentation on this anywhere?

Saturday, May 26, 2012 9:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Mats

If you are planning to use WriteFilters in your platform implementation then it is recommended that you use MAK activation rather than KMS.  KMS activation requires that the client reactivate with the KMS server every 180 days and the writefilter would revert to pre-activation state upon each system restart.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:53 PM
  • Hi Terry. 

I'm Sorry but we cant use Mak since Mak requires Internet access from the client locations. We cannot do that due to Regulations.

Since we are an "end customer" we can't buy embedded as software either. Buing a ready to run solution from an OEM is not doable (once again Regulation).

Therefore the need for KMS licensing.

I know there is a filebased writefilter but I guess that there are no docs on wich files/folders/regpaths that should be excluded for the Licensing services then. Kind of sad since it is such a good solution for creating "thin-clients" out of old boxes, With the write filter enabled, if a user manages to mess up the box it's just pull the power cord and plug it back in again since the filesystem can't be damaged. Very easy to do and easy to explain over the phone. 

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Mats,

MAK does not necessarily require Internet access by the specific device that you are activating if you use a tool called VAMT (Volume Activation Management Tool), which can activate images as a proxy to avoid the devices from needing direct internet connectivity. 

We do have documentation for the WriteFilter to define exclusions.  Please see the following resources.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh300763(v=winembedded.21)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Embedded-POSReady-7-Write-Filter-Management-Tools-Released-226016.shtml

There is currently no way to exclude the KMS Activation requirements throught he Write Filter which is why I recommend MAK activation.  Using VAMT will get you around the Internet Connectivity requirement.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

• Proposed as answer by Terry WarwickMicrosoft employee Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mats_o Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:53 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mats_o Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mats_o Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:32 AM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:21 AM
  • Im not sure that VAMT will work for us. 

It seems to require Firewall openings on each client( can't do due to regulations). It shouldn't need this at all since activation against MS doesn't. 

It also seems to need to have systems added to it. This will be a costly manual work since workgroup discovery is broadcast and that doesn't work over wan. There will be no domain for theese systems so no DC or LDAP to query either. Activation against MS doesn't need this so neither should VAMT.

And to make things even worse it seems that you will have to aprove systems manually to.  Activation against MS doesn't so this shouldn't be needed either.

IF i'm right on these points it's not a solution. A true proxy would be (in other words no extra job at all compared to do an online activation).

• Edited by Mats_o Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:45 AM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:54 AM
  • I have done some testing with FBWF and I don't know yet how well it will work but this is what I have figured out so far.

Allow writes to:

\windows\System32\config

\windows\system32\7B296FB0-376B-497e-B012-9C450E1B7327-5P-0.C7483456-A289-439d-8115-601632D005A0

\windows\system32\7B296FB0-376B-497e-B012-9C450E1B7327-5P-1.C7483456-A289-439d-8115-601632D005A0

\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

After that it will KMS activate with SLMGR -ATO

Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:43 PM