none
Microsoft Windows 2012 Failover Cluster Private Communication

Question

• Hi, 

I have converged infra as below,

1. Each network uplink of 10 Gbps bandwidth 

2. Each Blades have 4 Network adapter (10Gbps per adapter). 

3. Microsoft Windows 2012 Failover Cluster 

Requirement: We need to setup Microsoft fail-over cluster with Quorum as disk.

Our Planning:

1. Setup only 2 network connection in network teaming

2. Create two virtual teaming interface and

3. Configure the one in Data VLAN and another for heartbeat communication. 

Is this recommended and support ?

Or we need to utilize 3 network uplink (2 Network adapter teamed for data and one dedicate NIC for heartbeat)

Or  utilize 4 network uplink (2 Network adapter teamed for data and Dedicated 2 Network adapter teamed for heartbeat)

Please share the recommendation

With Rgds,

S Kannan

Rgds, S Kannan

• Edited by S Kannan Wednesday, July 11, 2018 10:32 AM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:06 AM

All replies

• There is no need to have a dedicated 'heartbeat' network.  In fact, the so-called 'heartbeat' network is better called the cluster communication network (because that is what the cluster documentation calls it).  It is recommended to have the cluster communication occurring either on two or more networks or on a teamed interface to ensure it has redundant paths.

With four 10 GE NICs, I would create one team of two NICs and then define the necessary virtual NICs for cluster communication, management, resource access, etc. from that team.  I would then use the other two 10 GE NICs to create an MPIO connection to the storage, i.e. I would not team the NICs for data access (particularly since you are stating you want a Windows Server 2012 cluster).

tim

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:22 PM
  • Hi, 

Beyond 4 network adapter, I have two storage adapter in each blade separately in my Architecture. 

Please share the Microsoft reference document and link on sup-portability and recommendation. 

Rgds,

S Kannan

Rgds, S Kannan

Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:53 AM
  • "Please share the Microsoft reference document and link on sup-portability and recommendation. "

TechNet.microsoft.com.  There is way too much information on TechNet to try to narrow it down, particularly on 'supportability'.  Basically, if you are using certified hardware (windowsservercatalog.com) and the configuration passes the cluster validation wizard, a cluster is supported.

As for recommendations, you do not even specify the purpose of the cluster.  Different applications could result in different recommended configurations.  Different access requirements could result in different recommended configurations.  Different security requirements could result in different recommended configurations.  Different performance requirements could result in different recommended configurations.

There is a wealth of information on recommendations that can be found by searching TechNet.  You can research your needs there, then when you have a specific question that needs clarification, please come back here to post.

Thursday, July 12, 2018 12:18 PM
  • Hi,

I am looking for Microsoft Windows 2012 Fail-over Cluster Best practice guide which explain the cluster communication network interface. 

Rdgs,

S Kannan

Rgds, S Kannan

Friday, July 13, 2018 6:15 AM
  • I used Bing to search for your string ' Microsoft Windows 2012 Fail-over Cluster Best practice' and it returned this - https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/aevalshah/2012/05/15/windows-server-2008-r2-failover-clustering-best-practice-guide/.  Though it says 2008 in the title, the basic concepts apply to 2012 and 2016 as well.

Spend a little time searching TechNet.  All the information is there.

tim

Friday, July 13, 2018 12:56 PM