Explorer not responding to new window launch or existing window restore RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've done some quick searches but haven't seen a match to my problem. Put simply, occasionally Explorer will not launch a new window when I click on its icon on the taskbar. When this happens I also cannot restore an existing window, nor can I for example open a Live Mesh folder on my desktop. I get no errors...just nothing happens.

When I kill and restart explorer.exe from Process Explorer, everything comes back to normal. (Except, of course, Explorer.exe is now running under the Process Explorer process.)

Thanks,
    Sean
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:47 PM

Answers

• I agree that issue can be related to third party software in the system. Please see if the issue occurs in Clean Boot mode as Magon_67 mentioned.

Also, please use ShellExView to disable third party extension of Windows Explorer and see if the issue can be resolved:

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3. Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4. Click Next and click Finnish.

5. Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Regards,

Linda

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Friday, December 18, 2009 6:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, December 21, 2009 9:44 AM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Sean,

When did this issue first occur? Have you installed any software recently?

You can try scanning virus in Safe mode and continuing troubleshooting the issue in clean boot:

This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also you can create a new account to check if the user profile you are using is corrupt.

Create a new user account
    ============
    1. Click the Start Button, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click switch to a Classic View in left panel.
    3. Double-click User Accounts.
    4. Click Manage another account.
    Note: Please click Continue if the User Account Control (UAC) window prompts.
    5. Click "Create a new account".
    6. Type in the account name and select choose an account type (For Example: Administrator or Standard user). Then, click Create Account.

Monday, December 14, 2009 6:35 AM
  • I agree that issue can be related to third party software in the system. Please see if the issue occurs in Clean Boot mode as Magon_67 mentioned.

Also, please use ShellExView to disable third party extension of Windows Explorer and see if the issue can be resolved:

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3. Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4. Click Next and click Finnish.

5. Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, December 21, 2009 9:44 AM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:14 AM