Outlook 2016 / Office 365 Email - Error trying to setup user account RRS feed

• Question

• Monday morning user tried to open Outlook 2016 (Pro Plus) which is connected to Office 365 Business Essentials email. There was an error that Outlook was unable to load the folders in the .OST file. 

We killed the email profile, deleted the files in the AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook and AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook folders and tried to create the user's email account. When we do, we almost IMMEDIATELY get an error: "We're sorry, we could not set up your account automatically. To try setting up the account yourself, click Next."

Unfortunately Next doesn't work. So we tried setting up another email account on the same user's profile. That WORKED. We logged off and logged in as a different user (same computer) and tried to setup the email SAME email that didn't work on this user profile and THAT WORKED! 

So there is something on the user's profile that is keeping it from allowing his email to be setup! What can it be? 

We have already tried a Office 365 repair. 

To recap:
       1) User (Joe) cannot use Outlook / Office 365 for HIS (Joe@dom.com) email account on HIS (Joe) user profile (Windows 10 Pro)
       2) We can setup a DIFFERENT user's email / Office 365 mail (Alex@dom.com) on HIS (Joe) user profile
       3) We can login as Alex and setup Joe's email (same PC, same Outlook 2016)

What needs to be cleaned out here to make Joe be able to setup his Office 365 email on HIS profile, again (remember, this used to work!)?

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:23 PM

Answers

• HI,

There might be an issue with the Users windows profile as i had the same issue sometime back with two of my users, where i tried all the registry changes and online repair, quick repair which did not yield any result but owa was working fine.

password cleanup in credential manager under control panel worked for one of the user but not for the other and for the other profile

So finally i renamed my old windows profile and recreated a new users windows profile which worked fine with outlook... and this happened only with windows 10.. so you can give a try with both the options.

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by ISD-PC-MAN Friday, January 10, 2020 10:05 PM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:34 PM

All replies

• HI,

There might be an issue with the Users windows profile as i had the same issue sometime back with two of my users, where i tried all the registry changes and online repair, quick repair which did not yield any result but owa was working fine.

password cleanup in credential manager under control panel worked for one of the user but not for the other and for the other profile

So finally i renamed my old windows profile and recreated a new users windows profile which worked fine with outlook... and this happened only with windows 10.. so you can give a try with both the options.

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by ISD-PC-MAN Friday, January 10, 2020 10:05 PM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:34 PM
  • We are hoping we can fix this without re-creating the user profile...that's such a pain, as this user has all sorts of stuff we will have to redo on the new profile.

Does anyone know if there are registry settings or files/folders we can clear to see if we can fix this? I can't imagine it's more than a few items that are causing this error/issue.

For example, WHAT is the Outlook/Email profile manager doing when it is creating an email account for O365 email that would cause it to fail with this warning?

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

A profile is what Outlook uses to remember the email accounts established within it and the settings that tell Outlook where your email and other data is stored.

>> We're sorry, we could not set up your account automatically. To try setting up the account yourself, click Next

There may be some duplication of previous account data here, please try configuring your email account on your Outlook client via Control Panel > Mail > Email Accounts > New...

>>Does anyone know if there are registry settings or files/folders we can clear to see if we can fix this?

You can try clearing the registry value of Outlook:(Important: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur. )

1. Close your Outlook client.
    2. Press Win + R to open Run, type "regedit" and press Enter.
    3. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\X.0\Outlook
    4. Rename the "Outlook" folder to "Outlook-1"
    5. Restart your Outlook and see if there is any difference.

>> We are hoping we can fix this without re-creating the user profile...that's such a pain, as this user has all sorts of stuff we will have to redo on the new profile.

I understand that re-creating the user profile may make things cumbersome. But it seems that your profile has indeed been corrupted in this situation. And profile is a complex file, modifications to it are likely to cause more problems. So if the issue continues, it is still suggested to create a new profile.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 3:09 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 9, 2020 8:23 AM
  • First, this page is not editable from an android device. Microsoft should fix that. I would have answered sooner but you cannot type in this dialog from Android devices.

Second, none of the fixes posted here or on the internet worked. In the end, we ended up creating a new user profile. That fixed the problem. I wish I could have posted a better fix but that was the only thing that worked for us.

Thursday, January 9, 2020 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

I'm glad to see you have fixed your problem and thanks for your sharing:)

Just as I said above, it seems that your profile has indeed been corrupted in this situation. And profile is a complex file, modifications to it are likely to cause more problems. So a new profile should be the best and safest way.

By the way, do you mind helping mark the post above or your own post as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, January 10, 2020 9:12 AM