Migration of Lync 2013 to Skype for Business 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Technet Forms,

I am currently in the process of performing a swing migration of my existing Lync 2013 deployment over to Skype for Business 2015. I had a couple of question I can’t seem to find a clear answer own so far. First, when it comes to my default sip domain which DNS records do I need to point to Skye for Business 2015? From what I found online it would seem like I need to point lyncdiscoeryinternal.<mydoamin>.com along with sip.<my domain>.com over to Skype along with the external DNS equivalents. I will note that my existing Lync 2013 and new Skype 2015 both have separate pool names as well.

Next when it comes to migrating the Edge servers between Lync 2013 over to Skype. What do the Skype Edge servers need to speak to so that Lync 2013 users work externally until they are migrated? Do the new Edge servers need to be able to connect to the Lync 2013 front end servers and vice versa?
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 5:03 PM

All replies

• Any reason you don't do in place upgrade?

All urls need to point to SFB, then SFB will do the rest of re-directing if users are hosted on Lync 2013 servers.Regarding Edge, you can do rip and replace. Then you avoid additional IPs for your Edge.

Only one Edge can be set as federation in your topology so this has to be SFB Edge.

Are both Lync 2013 frontend pool, edge pool and SFB frontend and Edge pool in place?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 7:24 PM
  • I didn't do an in place upgrade because for one I have to have zero interruptions to the Lync/Skype service. Further to that the existing servers are older and in a bit of disrepair. And on subnets we want to decommission so it was just easier to start anew with some fresh servers. 

Now IP's for me are not an issue because the plan is to decommission the existing Lync deployment once skype is up and everyone is migrated. I should also point out that I went with new url's for Skype as opposed to reusing my existing ones. To answer your last question yes both pools are up and in place.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 7:34 PM
  • Hi Nicholas Sayewich,

If you want to migrate Lync server 2013 to SFB server 2015, you need to point all DNS records to SFB server 2015, for DNS records, please refer to the following
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn951375.aspx

For edge server, during the migration, please point the next hop to SFB server 2015.

I will also share a document about “Migration from Lync Server 2010 to Lync Server 2013”, it’s similar to Migration from Lync server 2013 to SFB server 2015
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj205369(v=ocs.15).aspx

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:26 AM