none
subtasks or milestones under a subtask RRS feed

• Question

• I have a subtask called "quarterly reports" and I want to display X's or other symbols along that line (on the Gantt chart) to display each time (every three months) a report is due.

Is it better to add more subtasks under that subtask 

Or put milestones under that subtask ?

• Edited by PANCHO1990 Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:53 PM
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:51 PM

All replies

• Pancho1990 --

If there is work associated with the quarterly reports, I would make them subtasks.  If there is no work associated with the quarterly reports, I would make them milestone subtasks.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:30 PM
  • You need a "recurring task".

See the Task button on the task ribbon. Any help?

Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:41 PM
  • Pancho1990 --

If there is work associated with the quarterly reports, I would make them subtasks.  If there is no work associated with the quarterly reports, I would make them milestone subtasks.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Well, of course, in real life, in practice, there WILL be work associated with the quarterly reports, because someone is going to have to do them,

but in terms of assigning resources and people in Project to those reports, 

no, I don't think we'll go that far into the details and capabilities of Project.

We just want the visual representation of it, through Project, and, hence, my question / post on this forum.

• Edited by PANCHO1990 Sunday, November 12, 2017 4:45 AM
    Sunday, November 12, 2017 4:44 AM
  • You need a "recurring task".

See the Task button on the task ribbon. Any help?

If I'm representing a recurring report that is due the first of every month, say,

would it be best to set the start and end date the same ? (e.g. 1/1/2018 start date and 1/1/2018 end date) 

Sunday, November 12, 2017 4:47 AM