none
Anywhere Access not connecting to workstation

Question

• I am attempting to get Anywhere access working correctly on a 2012 Essentials server.    I have a valid cert and anywhere access activated but when i connect via web to the server I can login to anywhere access and get the nice graphic interface with the workstations listed and directories on the server listed .  Then when I click on a workstation it downloads a file withe the name of the workstation.rdp and we stop there.  if i click on that nothing happens.   Seems like it is attempting to redirect my access but it does not work.  Any suggestions. 

Many thanks for your responces

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 5:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, my understanding is that it downloads .rdp file of workstation when clicking workstation on RWA to open remote desktop connection.

Please try such operation on different client system with system built-in IE(desktop version) and confirm that if it is OS/IE version relate problem.

Besides, please try to add RWA web to Compatibility View Settings of IE and re-start client system in Clean Boot and confirm that if RDP via RWA is working.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/331796/perform-a-clean-startup-to-determine-whether-background-programs-are-i

I want to confirm with you if such problem only happens on specific internal workstation? Or, you are unable to establish a remote desktop to all internal workstation? 

If possible, please try to follow below steps to re-publish internal workstation to RWA:
    Dashboard – USERS – right click the user and select View the account properties – Anywhere Access tab, unselect Computers and click Apply – Computers tab, un-select the problematic workstation and click apply.

Then, reference above operation to re-enable computer access and log on using the user account via RWA and check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 01, 2018 9:58 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 04, 2018 1:41 AM
  • Hey Eve

Still not working .  When I click on the file it downloaded with the name workstation.rdp it gives me this error   Couldn't connect to     The host name could not be resolved.  

This did work if I took the file and opened it with RDP app.  So it is downloading the correct RDP config but not opening it with RDP.  I looked at the default program for .RDP and it is remote desktop so its not a bad association.

Bill

Monday, June 04, 2018 2:35 AM
  • Hi,

Does such problem only happens on specific internal workstation? 

Have you tried to establish remote desktop connection from different client via IE?

On the problematic internal workstation, please check below configuration:
    Control Panel - Windows Firewall - Allowed an app or feature through Windows Firewall – find Remote Desktop, make sure it is selected and appropriate network profile is selected.

If problem persists, try to disable Windows Firewall on the problematic workstation and try remote desktop connection again to check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, June 04, 2018 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 2:19 AM
  • Hi there .

It is still not working.   Like I said it downloads to the Access Anywhere a file called workstation.rdp is opened when you click on workstation icon and if you click on it it does not connect to the desktop of the workstation it gives you error as before stated..  If I take that file and open it on the server using RDP it does open the connection to the workstation.  So it is fine.   Its like the web interface of Access Anywhere does not know how to deal with the rdp file.  I should note that the rdp file does not seem to be on the server it downloads it to my remote workstation.  So is it my workstation that is running RDP to the server and then somehow to the workstation or is it my computer is web attached to server that then opens a RDP session on the server to the workstation.

So no it is still not fixed.  I am really lost on this one.

Regards

Bill

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 3:14 AM
  • Hi,

>Then when I click on a workstation it downloads a file withe the name of the workstation.rdp and we stop there.
    I want to confirm with you if you click the workstation on the same webpage of browser as you clicking server on RWA?

If you use IE to open RWA, and click workstation on RWA webpage? 

Please try confirm that if same problem also happens other workstations which are located on the same WSE network. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, June 07, 2018 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, June 11, 2018 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:31 AM