Adobe Photoshop CS6 recipe? RRS feed

• Question

• I have run into some issues around Microsoft VC++ Redistributable and SxS assemblies with this latest Photoshop CS6 release. I have referenced others advice from prior Photoshop releases (Aaron and Felipe).

Sequencing goes smooth with VFS install to Q: drive. Pre-reqs installed locally before sequencing (8 total Microsoft VC versions from the Adobe media \payloads directory). However upon launching Photoshop CS6 I am getting the PDapp.exe error that others have reported in other Abode apps "the application was unable to start correctly". The corresponding event logs are as follows:

Event ID 35:
    Activation context generation failed for "Q:\PshopCS6.001\VFS\CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES_COMMON\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\core\adbeape.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "Q:\PshopCS6.001\VFS\CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES_COMMON\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\core\Microsoft.VC90.CRT\Microsoft.VC90.CRT.MANIFEST" on line 3. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8". Definition is Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.4148". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Event ID 33:
    Activation context generation failed for "Q:\PshopCS6.001\VFS\CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES_COMMON\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\core\adbeape.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

I have not tried this solution yet but a similar issue was reported here and the work around was to copy some Microsoft.VC90.CRT files from the C: to the VFS during the capture.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/3edefb1f-b439-4b60-8673-8945a18527b8/

I also discovered Aaron's advice on CS3 about making sure that certain SxS dependencies existed on the client machine. However I have not yet attempted this work around as the newer CS6 version of Photoshop does not appear to use these same SxS assemblies. This was confirmed by comparing the C:\Windows\winsxs directory on a machine with a local install of Photoshop CS6.

http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/sequencing-adobe-photoshop-cs3/

On the plus side it appears that this new Photoshop version eliminates the Flexnet licensing engine that plagued previous versions. I am also using the retail install media as I do not have access to volume media at this time.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Download and install this both on the sequencer (before you sequence) and on any client that will run the package;

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11895

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Found another KB article from a prior Photoshop CS3 release. This one recommending that you delete certain Microsoft VC++ DLL files from within your packages VFS.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960918/

What I did discover is that Photoshop CS6 installs several different versions of the VC++ DLLs in different places within the filesystem. Below is an example of a local install (no App-V) of CS6 and the multiple copies of msvcm90.dll that get installed:

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Thanks znack - I am curious, is that specific update recommended for security reasons or does it solve my specific issue?

Does the VC++ 2008 update you linked above "replace" the other VC++ 2008 pre-reqs I am installing or is it in addition to those?

FYI - I have installed both x86 and x64 versions of VC++ 2005, 2008, 2010 prior to sequencing Photoshop CS6. I am doing this due to the fact that they are included within the Adobe installer media and I do not want any of them captured within the sequence.

• Edited by Brad Guss Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:39 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:36 PM
  • You are correct about the VC++ runtimes.  Here are the programs i have installed on my sequencer and I can successful sequence Adobe CS6 Design Standard.

My issue now is the PACE anti-piracy system that Adobe is using.  The applications run, but they lose all licensing information and will only run as a trial.  I installed Adobe CS6 after creating an Enterprise Deployment using Adobe Application Manager Enterprise Edition, in hopes that it would allow the licensing to be silent.  Anyone have any ideas?

• Edited by nsticklen Monday, May 14, 2012 9:29 PM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 9:19 PM
  • Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:24 PM
  • I sequenced the serialization tool in with Photoshop and added a shortcut to it.  When a user runs the virtual app for the first time, they need to run the script to authorize them.
    Friday, June 1, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Does that work for the user within the virtual environment?

Would it be possible to run it for the user in a pre launch script?

JJ

Monday, June 4, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Yes, you can run the serialization tool in a pre launch script successfully.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, November 16, 2012 10:09 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:25 PM
  • I sequenced the serialization tool in with Photoshop and added a shortcut to it.  When a user runs the virtual app for the first time, they need to run the script to authorize them.

I'm using App-V 5.0 Beta 2, follow the guide from http://myworldofit.net/?p=890, http://myworldofit.net/?p=908, http://myworldofit.net/?p=924, except the last part to modify the OSD file. App-V 5.0 doesn't have OSD file, and hence I thought of trigger it manually. Created a serialize .bat file and sequence together with the package.

When I execute the serialize .bat file, I get return error code 25. Error 25 means "If no product is installed on the target machine or enigma data of serial number could not be decoded". I tried the .bat file that I created on a VM that installed with Photoshop CS6 locally, working fine, with return code 0.

I thought this problem might caused by App-V 5.0 sequencer, hence I sequence it again using App-V 4.6 SP1. I've configured the OSD file, the script runs automatically. But outcome is still the same, I get return error code 25.

You guys don't have this problem?

Regards,

Hau 

• Edited by kwokhauMVP Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:24 PM Wrong word
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:23 AM
  • Hello,

I suggest you post your findings on Connect

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:21 PM
  • ZNACK,

This is the same with App-V 4.6 too, not only App-V 5.0.

Regards,
    Hau

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:26 PM
  • Hello,

OK - no this problem have never been experienced by me or any other guy I have assissted in setting up the above solutions.

Since you are using a bat-file - have you attempted without it?

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:31 PM
  • Hello,

I got this error

May I know do I need certain license for the Adobe CS6? 

Regards,
    Hau 

Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:23 AM
  • Hello,

You need a volume license for any type of deployment with Adobe CS6

Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:55 PM
  • I too get the same error for Adobe Illustrator CS5. Does any one has any fixes/workarounds?

Thanks,

Chetan

ChetanKumarT

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Hello,

Install all (22) Visual C++ redists.

See this article for a list; http://www.applepie.se/setup-a-vm-for-packaging

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Hello Kwokhau,

I am also facing the same error that you mention in the post Return code 25. Could you please advice me if you have solution to sequence Adobe Photoshop CS6.

Thanks in advance.

Regard,

Sriram Narra.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 6:53 AM
  • Im also getting the Return Code 25 issue. Has anyone found the reason why this could be happening?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, September 9, 2013 7:59 AM
  • Just for anyone else who is experiencing the problem, i was able to get around the Return Code 25 error by copying the serialization files into the install location when sequencing before capturing the changes and then running the serialization from within the virtual environment rather than outside it under start process in UserConfig :-

<UserScripts>
    <StartProcess RunInVirtualEnvironment="true">

<Path>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\Adobe_Serialization\AdobeSerialization.exe</Path>

<Arguments>adobe_prtk --tool=VolumeSerialize --provfile=" [{AppVPackageRoot}]\Adobe_Serialization\prov.xml"</Arguments>

<Wait RollbackOnError="true"/>

<ApplicationId>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\Adobe InDesign CS6\InDesign.exe</ApplicationId>

</StartProcess>
    </UserScripts>

Hope this helps

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, October 21, 2013 6:05 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:25 AM
  • This is fine , sometimes it works but sometimes its thriw an error as network failure.Most of the time , i observed first time its run fine but 2nd time its throw an error related nestwork error.

Photoshop CS6 , even i tried to package with APPV 5.0 SP1 , but when deployed to users , same response related trial version and license information , its seek before launch of shortcuts.

I tried to with change of PVAD as "C:\program files\Common files\Adobe\Adobe PCD" and exclusion list as "C:\Programdata\Adobe\SLStore" but still no it doesn't works.

Can any one suggest , what could be the rest options , i could apply or it cannot be packaged with APPV5.0??

Thanks

Rudra

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:08 PM
  • Hello,

Just above your post is this solution - which describes a resolution to your issue;

"Just for anyone else who is experiencing the problem, i was able to get around the Return Code 25 error by copying the serialization files into the install location when sequencing before capturing the changes and then running the serialization from within the virtual environment rather than outside it under start process in UserConfig :-

<UserScripts>
    <StartProcess RunInVirtualEnvironment="true">

<Path>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\Adobe_Serialization\AdobeSerialization.exe</Path>

<Arguments>adobe_prtk --tool=VolumeSerialize --provfile="
    [{AppVPackageRoot}]\Adobe_Serialization\prov.xml"</Arguments>

<Wait RollbackOnError="true"/>

<ApplicationId>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\Adobe InDesign CS6\InDesign.exe</ApplicationId>

</StartProcess>
    < /UserScripts>

Hope this helps"

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Hello,

I got this error

May I know do I need certain license for the Adobe CS6? 

Regards,
    Hau 

See this blog post to solve the Error: 16 http://ittechlog.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/virtualize-adobe-photoshop-cs5-using-microsoft-app-v-5-0/

Friday, October 25, 2013 8:30 AM