dxgkrnl.sys not loading resulting in a slow bootup RRS feed

• Question

• Hey.

been getting a 40 second or so black screen hang when starting up my windows 8.1 machine. I thought it was video card issues, and have done everything I can possibly think of (gpu related) to fix the problem.

I ran a bootlog just now, and everything seems in check except one thing not loading:

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys

This error pops up 4 times within the bootlog, so I'm figuring this has something to do with the hanging, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix this, and was hoping somebody could help.

Thanks
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:18 PM

All replies

• The driver is part of the core of DirectX Video.

Try the following:

• Reinstalling the graphics card driver
    • Updating DirectX (you can look it up)
    • Checking the integrity of the system, using the command sfc /scannow (in the administrative command prompt)

For some reason (software corruption -- fixes above; if they don't work you might need to refresh/reset your PC) the driver fails to load. If it's software error, it could be fixed by one of the above, usually. If it's a hardware error, then you might need to get a new video card.

Also, does your system fit the minimum system requirements? (128 MB video memory, DirectX 9 compatible video card)

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:50 PM
  • The driver is part of the core of DirectX Video.

Try the following:

• Reinstalling the graphics card driver
    • Updating DirectX (you can look it up)
    • Checking the integrity of the system, using the command sfc /scannow (in the administrative command prompt)

For some reason (software corruption -- fixes above; if they don't work you might need to refresh/reset your PC) the driver fails to load. If it's software error, it could be fixed by one of the above, usually. If it's a hardware error, then you might need to get a new video card.

Also, does your system fit the minimum system requirements? (128 MB video memory, DirectX 9 compatible video card)

I've reinstalled my graphics card drivers.

I've ran a scan. Both of the above have not helped.

I can't seem to figure out how to update DirectX.

My system fits the above requirements - Nvidia GTX 770 graphics card.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:43 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried in safe mode or a clean boot? Please take a check to see if the dxgkrnl.sys could be loaded successfully.

Besides, could you please upload the bootlog here?

Follow the guide below to upload files:

Use OneDrive(SkyDrive) to upload collected files and post screen shot/picture. (Updated: 1/16/2012)

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Michael_LS Friday, August 29, 2014 6:38 AM
    Friday, August 29, 2014 6:38 AM
  • Hi.

I've loaded in clean boot, and dxgkrnl.sys still does not load.

http://pastebin.com/NRep1XWC - here is the pastebin of the bootlog.

Thanks

Friday, August 29, 2014 7:35 PM
  • Hi,

I have checked boot log, no more information other than the errors. And it also couldn't load in clean boot, which should be considered as some hardware issue.

Some more questions here:

Did this issue happen after clean install?

Is this PC any specific, Or self-building one?

Please make sure the hardwares would work together, better confirm from the manufacturer side.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 1, 2014 10:50 AM
  • H.

This issue happened after some Windows Updates.

The pc is a self-built one.

All the hardware 100% works together.

dxgkrnl.sys is a Microsoft Driver, which means it'll also load in a safeboot too, so I don't think it is a hardware issue. Everything is fine except from the booting of the system.

Thanks

• Edited by Faizy450 Tuesday, September 2, 2014 12:15 AM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2014 12:11 AM
  • BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys

I think we have seen this before.  Try dxdiag for clues?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/dxgkrnlsys-not-loading-on-startup/7206e2e9-6963-4d14-a7a0-0a85abfe381d

(BING search for
         dxgkrnl.sys  "NOT LOADED"  Windows_8  -BSOD  site:microsoft.com
    )

Note a consequence of following their suggested link?  <eg>

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Diagnosing-basic-problems-with-DirectX

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 2:45 AM
  • Hi.

That post was also me - sorry for any confusion. I wasn't entirely sure where to post this issue.

I have done everything suggested in both topics, and dxdiag seems to have no issues.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 3:01 PM
  • Also found that you have posted in other forums.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/52619-dxgkrnl-sys-not-loading-bootlog-file-4-times-3.html

Share your computer components here?

Have you checked the issue with the video adapter side?

the DirectX driver not load might caused by the display configuration, make sure there is no 3-rd party display program installed.

Another thing, upload the dxdiag log here,let's figure this out.

Rgds

Thursday, September 4, 2014 2:38 AM
  • here is the solution for my windows 10. I have encountered same problem like yours.

Goto 'Power Options' -> 'Choose what the power buttons do' -> 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' -> uncheck the box for 'Turn on fast startup'.

Reboot and I didnt see the screen boot hang/blackout problem anymore. The dxgkrnl.sys BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED still there but I dont think it is the root cause. The screen blackout is more on power mgmt problem.

Hope this help!

Friday, July 22, 2016 11:55 PM
  • here is the solution for my windows 10. I have encountered same problem like yours.

Goto 'Power Options' -> 'Choose what the power buttons do' -> 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' -> uncheck the box for 'Turn on fast startup'.

Reboot and I didnt see the screen boot hang/blackout problem anymore. The dxgkrnl.sys BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED still there but I dont think it is the root cause. The screen blackout is more on power mgmt problem.

Hope this help!

Hi,

I have just the same problem in Win10 and the problem remains with the previous configuration change applied. Reviewing the bootlog, the first time the driver is loaded sucessfully but, after that, the following 4 times the same driver is not loaded. 

I have reinstalled the system from scrach at least 5 times in the last month and this last time I haven't installed any 3rd party driver, only windows 10 ISO and the updates suggested by Windows Update but the problem appear again.

Any idea?

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:58 PM
  • I have the exact same issue. Fresh instalation here.. Takes a lot of time to boot up:

- 40 seconds from reboot instruction until ASUS logo appear on screen

- 30 more until username prompt

- 40 seconds after credencials input

PC: asus ux03ln @windows10-HOME-64bit

BOOTLOG:

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
    BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\BasicDisplay.sys

(...)

(...)

(...)

(...)

Friday, March 17, 2017 7:46 PM
  • Maybe the reason why it behaves this way is because it loaded sucessfully first time, all other times it will return error.

Do you have any ideia where the bootup task sequence is defined to see if there are multiple requests to load repeated drivers?

Friday, March 17, 2017 7:51 PM
  • Same problem, but Windows 10 just after the recent major update, whatever .. creators? edition, I don't care for 3d paint or vr crap, lots of new stuff got manually uninstalled, but this is annoying the hair off my head. boot times are impossibly slow now, and with no apparent reason. same culprit found relating to directx, but nothing else showing any relation to it. and as usual, M$ are all "Thanks for your reply. Glad we could help." when they tell you to run sfc / scannow after the robot spiel...

They don't care, you know. Problems like this, are always there. There is no need to fix it, time does that. You either live with it, ignore it, it goes away or you get an upgrade. Babu and Vishna you see replying to people here are literally walking around barefoot with kids hanging off their hips making dinner with one hand, and typing a scripted reply with the other, in the kitchen/living room/bedroom. That's why it's always the same. They don't need to fix the problems, just be seen to be there, so we vent at them, they recite a scripted canned response, with just enough to keep some satiated with hope, but in reality, they're just there to keep the masses at the gates with promises of the show starting soon. Tell them there is no show, they'd riot and break down the gates. So they remain silent...

So these keepers, these... gates keepers, so to speak - these people who are paid peanuts to put MCSE and MCP next to their name after finding the Burgundy M$ Ticket secreted away in a bundle of Select CD's from 2001, are merely a facade. A false face for us to raise our ire to, when ultimately, the manner with which we are left scratching our heads leaves us wondering "Was it even a problem? did it ever boot up faster? I.. I just don't know any more....."

Saturday, December 30, 2017 3:36 AM
  • Same problem, but Windows 10 

Then it is not the same problem and you should open your own thread with your own details in a W10 forum.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, December 30, 2017 3:09 PM
  • Same problem, but Windows 10 just after the recent major update, whatever .. creators? edition, I don't care for 3d paint or vr crap, lots of new stuff got manually uninstalled, but this is annoying the hair off my head. boot times are impossibly slow now, and with no apparent reason. same culprit found relating to directx, but nothing else showing any relation to it. and as usual, M$ are all "Thanks for your reply. Glad we could help." when they tell you to run sfc / scannow after the robot spiel...

They don't care, you know. Problems like this, are always there. There is no need to fix it, time does that. You either live with it, ignore it, it goes away or you get an upgrade. Babu and Vishna you see replying to people here are literally walking around barefoot with kids hanging off their hips making dinner with one hand, and typing a scripted reply with the other, in the kitchen/living room/bedroom. That's why it's always the same. They don't need to fix the problems, just be seen to be there, so we vent at them, they recite a scripted canned response, with just enough to keep some satiated with hope, but in reality, they're just there to keep the masses at the gates with promises of the show starting soon. Tell them there is no show, they'd riot and break down the gates. So they remain silent...

So these keepers, these... gates keepers, so to speak - these people who are paid peanuts to put MCSE and MCP next to their name after finding the Burgundy M$ Ticket secreted away in a bundle of Select CD's from 2001, are merely a facade. A false face for us to raise our ire to, when ultimately, the manner with which we are left scratching our heads leaves us wondering "Was it even a problem? did it ever boot up faster? I.. I just don't know any more....."

So true.. i'm having the same issue, probably indeed since the FCU (this is my first version anyways).

Windows 10 FCU takes pretty long to load and from the boot log, i can see the above mentioned entries.

Is this being channeled through to be fixed in Spring Creators Update?

Thursday, March 15, 2018 4:13 PM