none
Where to run MIM 2016 and SPS 2016?

Question

• Hi,

When installing MIM 2016, we'd like to use the latest SPS 2016 product.

MIM Sync will be installed on one server.

MIM Service & Portal will be installed on another server - do we also need to install SPS 2016 on this same server?

Or can we deploy SPS 2016 on another server from the MIM Service & Portal server?

Thank you,

SK

Monday, April 15, 2019 10:56 PM

Answers

• Oh I got it ... Yes in this case ... MIM portal must be on the same server as SPS 2016
    • Marked as answer by Shim Kwan Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:54 AM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:37 AM

All replies

• MIM Service & Portal will be installed on another server - do we also need to install SPS 2016 on this same server?

No you don’t have to install SPS 2016 on the same server where MIM Service & Portal is installed nor MIM Sync , you can have MIM Sync , MIM Service & Portal and SPS 2016 Product on completely separate servers. Ultimately SharePoint Management Agent (SPMA) on your SharePoint Servers will connect to your MIM server

Or can we deploy SPS 2016 on another server from the MIM Service & Portal server?

Yes you can

Internally the data is synchronized between Active Directory and the metaverse by using the Active Directory connector space (CS) by an Active Directory management agent (MA). Data is also synchronized between SharePoint and the metaverse by using the SharePoint connector space by a SharePoint management agent. Commonly as part of that synchronization, data is exported to the SharePoint User profile store.

Please refer this Microsoft link below and let me know if you have any question

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/administration/overview-of-microsoft-identity-manager-synchronization-service-in-sharepoint-ser

Thanks,

Thuyavan

Monday, April 15, 2019 11:21 PM
  • Perhaps my question was unclear - I'm not asking about the old 'User Profile Sync' for SPS.

FIM 2010 Portal ran on top of SharePoint Foundation 2010.

MIM 2016 Portal can run on top of SharePoint 2016 (talking about the Portal with MPRs, Sets, Workflows, etc).

For this purpose, must MIM Portal be on the same server as SPS 2016?

• Edited by Shim Kwan Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:14 AM
  • Oh I got it ... Yes in this case ... MIM portal must be on the same server as SPS 2016
    • Marked as answer by Shim Kwan Wednesday, April 17, 2019 3:54 AM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:37 AM
  • cheers thx
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 4:04 AM