none
how to add domainsDnsZones in a single windows server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,
    im new in here, our company have a one windows server 2012 R2 for:
    AD, DHCP server, DNS Server, WSUS, GPO

Recently we just implemented a new email server in our office with hostname:
    mail.alpha.com
    (172.16.129.21) - local ip
    (174.34.xx.xx) - public ip

Our Domain name is bravo.intra (172.16.128.9)

My question is only one:
    1. how can our local user access/ping mail.alpha.com by its local ip which is 172.16.129.21...? currently our local user access/ping mail.alpha.com is going to its public ip.

Hope you guys can help with my issue :)

Best Regards,
    Sinaga

Sunday, November 5, 2017 9:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Primary  zone

When a zone that this DNS server hosts is a primary zone, the DNS server is the primary source for information about this zone, and it stores the master copy of zone data in a local file or in AD DS. When the zone is stored in a file, by default the primary zone file is named zone_name.dns and it is located in the %windir%\System32\Dns folder on the server.

More information about DNS zone,  please refer to the following article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771898(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>Our Domain name is bravo.intra (172.16.128.9)

Does bravo.intra (172.16.128.9) mean your DC?

Does your clients in subnet (172.16.128.x)?

What is the perferred DNS in your client? Public DNS like 8.8.8.8  or  your DNS server?

Please configure it as your DNS server IP. 

Since I don't know your subnet mask, I'm not sure about the 172.16.129.21 and 172.16.128.9 in the same subnet.

If they are in same subnet, please add a host A record in your DNS console.

If they aren't in same subnet, please configure the IPv4 DHCP Relay Agent (install RRAS role)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd469685%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 6, 2017 5:30 AM
  • Hi Frank,

This is my answer:

1. bravo.intra is our DC (DHCP server, AD,WSUS)
    2. Yes our client is in subnet 172.16.128.0
    3. Our preferred DNS in our client is our local DNS server (172.16.128.9)

- 172.16.128.0/24
    - 172.16.129.0/24

If i add a host A record in our DNS, then the fqdn for 172.16.129.21 will be:
    mail.alpha.com.bravo.intra -> it should just mail.otmerak.com.

Really hope you can help me with this Frank.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 6:37 AM
  • Create a local zone alpha.com and add A record for mail pointing to your local IP.

Regards, MC Manikandan

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 6:49 AM
  • What should i choose..?

Primary/secondary/stub zone...?

Best Regards,
    Edward Sinaga

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

Primary  zone

When a zone that this DNS server hosts is a primary zone, the DNS server is the primary source for information about this zone, and it stores the master copy of zone data in a local file or in AD DS. When the zone is stored in a file, by default the primary zone file is named zone_name.dns and it is located in the %windir%\System32\Dns folder on the server.

More information about DNS zone,  please refer to the following article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771898(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,
    Frank

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:29 AM

• Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Thursday, November 9, 2017 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Wow thanks man, help with my problem but next step i need to create a primary reverse lookup zone :)

cheers man,
    Sinaga

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 3:20 AM