SCOM R2 CU3 and DPM 2012 4.0.1800.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we are running SCOM 2007 R2 CU3. I installed MP for DPM 2012 , MP Version 4.0.1800.0.

This MP is part of the DPM distribution, cannot be found in online catalogue.

The MP does not work. Nothing discovered and, what is worse: The Monitoring Service on DPM Servers is stopped.

Is there any Documentation for the MP ? Is it compatible with our SCOM 2007 R2 CU3 ?

Thanks for your help

sebastian

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,

in the meantime we have migrated to SCOM 2012 SP1.

Hope the MP for DPM 2012 will run.

Thanks for all

sebastian

Monday, March 25, 2013 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding using DPM 2012 MP, I noticed the following posts and would like to share them with you for your reference:

Managing and Monitoring System Center DPM 2012 with SCOM Part 2
    http://kevingreeneitblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/managing-and-monitoring-system-center_12.html

Managing and Monitoring System Center DPM 2012 with SCOM Part 3
    http://kevingreeneitblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/managing-and-monitoring-system-center_15.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:19 AM
  • Hi Nicholas,

thanks for the links. Seems to be a lot to read and to do. I will report on my success (hopefully)  when done, may take one or two weeks.

Thanks so far

sebastian

Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:28 AM
  • Hi

Sadly the links don't mention anything about support. I do know a colleague who has had problems with the DPM 2012 MP on SCOM 2007 R2 - the SCOM agent keeps crashing and you'll probably see Event 22406 in the operationsmanager event log on the DPM server. Eventually he pulled the MP.

I don't know of anything official but will try and find out.

Regards

Graham

Regards Graham New System Center 2012 Blog! - http://www.systemcentersolutions.co.uk
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/

• Edited by Graham Davies Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:20 AM spelling
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Hi Guys

I am experiencing the same issues mentioned in the above posts. I was able to stop my ops manager agents crashing out on my DPM servers by implementing the registry changes in Kevingreene's it blog.

After applying the reg changes the system center agents stabalised and the DPM servers appeared in my SCOM console in the DPM 2012 section however both had a red cross next to them, I cant remember the exact alarm but it was something like... ' could not verify DPM server running'. I looked at the two DPM servers and noticed that there identical events logged on each DPM server, pasted below, Looks like a discovery script is unable to run correctly.

The beta MP had previously worked for us with no such errors, I still have  copy of the RC MP's which I used to replace the RTM MP's. The DPM servers now have no errors in there event log and discovery scripts appear to be running ok (no errors thrown) however the DPM servers no longer appear in the ops console in the DPM 2012 section.

If anyone could shed some light on what's going on that would be great, pasted below is the eventlog that relates to the discovery script not running. (NB. '*' are were i've edited name of our kit)

Log Name:      Operations Manager
    Source:        Health Service Modules
    Date:          09/08/2012 12:54:22
    Event ID:      22406
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      VPDPM**
    Description:
    The PowerShell script failed with below exception

System.Management.Automation.RuntimeException: The term 'Connect-DPMServer' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:52 char:42
    +   $err = $($dpmServer = Connect-DPMServer <<<<  $dpmServerName) 2>&1
       at System.Management.Automation.FlowControlNode.Execute(Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ExecutionContext context)
       at System.Management.Automation.ParseTreeNode.Execute(Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ArrayList& resultList, ExecutionContext context)
       at System.Management.Automation.StatementListNode.ExecuteStatement(ParseTreeNode statement, Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ArrayList& resultList, ExecutionContext context)

Script Name: PSDiscovery.ps1

One or more workflows were affected by this. 

Workflow name: Microsoft.SystemCenter.DataProtectionManager.2011.Discovery.PSDiscovery
    Instance name: VPDPM**
    Instance ID: {1C220362-B6C2-A6AA-45DF-42E705AC98E4}
    Management group: VPMG**
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Health Service Modules" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">22406</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-09T11:54:22.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>50250</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Operations Manager</Channel>
        <Computer>VPDPM*.*.*</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>VPMG***</Data>
        <Data>Microsoft.SystemCenter.DataProtectionManager.2011.Discovery.PSDiscovery</Data>
        <Data>VPDPM3</Data>
        <Data>{1C220362-B6C2-A6AA-45DF-42E705AC98E4}</Data>
        <Data>PSDiscovery.ps1</Data>
        <Data>7200</Data>
        <Data>System.Management.Automation.RuntimeException: The term 'Connect-DPMServer' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:52 char:42
    +   $err = $($dpmServer = Connect-DPMServer &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;  $dpmServerName) 2&gt;&amp;1
       at System.Management.Automation.FlowControlNode.Execute(Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ExecutionContext context)
       at System.Management.Automation.ParseTreeNode.Execute(Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ArrayList&amp; resultList, ExecutionContext context)
       at System.Management.Automation.StatementListNode.ExecuteStatement(ParseTreeNode statement, Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ArrayList&amp; resultList, ExecutionContext context)
    </Data>
        <Data>System.Management.Automation.RuntimeException</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

• Edited by Rosstoph Friday, August 10, 2012 9:26 AM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 9:23 AM
  • ImportantImportant

System Center 2012 – Data Protection Manager (DPM) only works with System Center 2012 – Operations Manager.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758189

Are there mp's for SCOM2007? Everybody is using the DPM2012 Beta version....

Friday, August 17, 2012 9:15 AM
  • Hi,

in the meantime we have migrated to SCOM 2012 SP1.

Hope the MP for DPM 2012 will run.

Thanks for all

sebastian

Monday, March 25, 2013 9:00 AM
  • FYI, same problem with DPM server not being discovered when we had both DPM Central Console and DPM Remote Administration installed. Program and Features showed three installations of DPM Remote Administration. Apparently the console installation installed two and the other had been manually installed. Removing manually installed and DPM server was discovered.   

P.S. Kevin Greene’s IT Blog worked for us as well.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:57 PM