Skype for Business On Premise Federation to O365 Users is now one way RRS feed

• Question

• We have a very strange scenario with On-Prem to O365 federation. 

- On-Prem users uses Skype for Business on-premise server 2015
    - On-Prem user is able to see the presence and send IMs to O365 Skype for Business Online users
    - O365 Skype for Business Online users cannot see the presence of On-Prem users  (shows as Offline) or start an IM conversation
    - if On-Prem users start the IM conversation IM works fine both ways
    - if the O365 Skype for Business Online user start a conversation an error message comes up "user is not using skype for business for a richer experience switch to Teams"
    - On-Prem user is registered on O365, the domain is not registered for Skype for Business Online, users with O365 E3 licenses have the Skype for Business plan unticked.
    - On-Prem user is  able to federate with other companies and they can see our presence 
    - Federation was working in the past in both directions.
    - Has Teams Online now broken the federation?
    - On the Teams portal the Teams Upgrade is set to Teams Only and cannot be changed as it "has been set by Microosft"
    - I am not sure how long the issue has been presence but I supect the coexistance of Teams is causing the Federation issue

Has anybody else come across this issue?

Thanks,
    Donagh 

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 5:06 PM

Answers

• After writing everything down, I figured there must be a way to disable teams and yes there is. Once teams was disabled on the o365 user plan, federation worked in both directions.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:03 PM

All replies

• After writing everything down, I figured there must be a way to disable teams and yes there is. Once teams was disabled on the o365 user plan, federation worked in both directions.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:03 PM
  • Thanks for your reply and sharing.

Best Regards,
    Shaw Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:24 AM