Saving Headers from doc to another and saving as default RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, for my work, I have set up on my own computer, 7 headers related to our organisation. These are saved into my own Word on my computer so every time I open a new doc on my computer, they are there. Is there a way to save them into a template (which I have done) and then open this template on my colleagues computer and save them onto her computer too, with out her having to open a new 'template' each time she needs to use them - I want them saved as default headers on her normal Word system.  

I have been able to do this for other work colleagues regarding our colour schemes etc - just struggling with headers and footers.

Regards, Kayla

Thursday, July 30, 2015 12:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to share your custom template to your colleagues. Their pcs will start up with this template instead of a blank page. Am I right? If yes, we want this other template to be used as the default all the time, we can simply name the existing Normal.Dot/Normal.Dotm something else, and then rename your desired template as Normal.Dot/Normal.Dotm.

Normal.Dot/Normal.Dotm Path in Win7/8/8.1/10:

C:\Users\lumengrong\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

http://word.tips.net/T000860_Startup_Template_Changes.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to share your custom template to your colleagues. Their pcs will start up with this template instead of a blank page. Am I right? If yes, we want this other template to be used as the default all the time, we can simply name the existing Normal.Dot/Normal.Dotm something else, and then rename your desired template as Normal.Dot/Normal.Dotm.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

George Zhao

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:19 AM
  • Great thank you very much!

I'll have a go now.

Friday, July 31, 2015 2:27 AM
  • Hi,

Regards,

George Zhao

This is not a good solution long-term because only Word can create a normal template. A different template renamed normal.dotm will be missing key components of Word. If the template in question started out as a normal template, that isn't a problem. However, the normal template is not designed or intended to be shared. Further, having any text in the normal template can cause problems with the envelopes and labels features.

It is possible to configure a different Global Template to act as the default basis for new documents. See Letterhead AddIn(s) - Default New Document for an example of how to do this.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Friday, July 31, 2015 4:18 PM