none
Import an Excel File to MSP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have imported my Excel Spreadsheet and now I need to make the tasks that are imported recurring tasks. How do I make an imported task recurring, without starting from a blank cell?

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:00 PM

All replies

• I don't think it's possible.  I'd also point out that recurring tasks are generally not a good practice to use in a schedule.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Saturday, January 26, 2013 1:15 AM
  • Agree with Andrew's answer.  Not possible to add imported tasks as recurring tasks, much as it is impossible to "convert" standard tasks to recurring tasks.

As you say, ACS-TOP, you can only create recurring tasks right from within existing projects by using the Insert Menu or Insert Tab, depending on the version of Project you are using.

Not entirely sure why you want to do this, actually, as you will get much better results (and consistency, to boot, should you wish to use this feature) from within Project anyway.

I almost always focus on using Excel as a list-making tool when I don't have Project to hand on my laptop to create a task list and plan details with.

In Excel, I typically add two columns for tasks to import into the Gantt Chart, the NAME, and the DURATION, with values typed in exactly as they would look in Project before importing right into a new or existing plan.

In newer (2010 onwards) versions of Project, you can even import indented and structured WBS task hierarchies! Way cool! ;)

Sincerely,

-Mark

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:14 AM